VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Instant Clone VM stuck in Deleting ( 2 different pools)

Sorry for the post and i'm sure this is something simple but i have tried what i can to get this Stuck VM to go away.  i am running View 7.0.1.  I have one VM in an Instant Clone pool that is stuck in the deleted state. i tried to restart the management service with no luck.  Tried to power off the vm in vCenter with no luck.  Tried to reset the vm in vCenter with the same outcome.  I see a lot of info out there for Linked Clones but not much about Instant Clones.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks 

Thank you, Perry
4 Replies
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perry,

I would try and delete the VM's out of vCenter and then the ADAM database. I would disable provisioning on the pool before deleting the VM's. See if they rebuild correctly. You might need to use IcUnprotect.cmd to unprotect the instant clone in vCenter

Connecting to the View ADAM Database

VMware Knowledge Base

Removing the virtual machine from the ADAM database on the connection server

VMware Knowledge Base   

Instant-Clone Maintenance Utilities

Instant-Clone Maintenance Utilities

Let me know if this helps

Jeff

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

These are great tips to check out. From experience, here is what to do and avoid the need to edit the ADAM database.

1. Wait until the delete times out or try to place it in maintenance mode.

2. Power down the VM

3. Now were going to do a two pronged attack

4. Start the delete task on the VM in the View Administrator

5. Then delete the VM from vcenter (make sure to delete and not remove it from inventory)

What happens is composer sees that the VM has been removed from vCenter and is then happy. It then deletes the VM from the ADAM database and thus the pool inventory.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
jrodsguitar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a suggestion. I know that you can configure a pool to stop on provisioning errors. Have you checked if provisioning is disabled on your pools? try clicking enable provisioning. Just a thought.

Blog: https://powershell.house/
0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Actually, disabling provisioning still allows you to delete desktops in the pool. It is a very good strategy if you want to clear out the VDI desktops AND the replica. However, in this case it would not assist his issue.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂