VMware Horizon Community
mhartstein
Contributor
Contributor

Instant Clone Secondary Image Feature Not Working As Expected?

Has anyone had success getting this new (2111) feature working with a pool set to provision machines on demand? I can generate the Secondary Image fine and have the option to apply it to individual machines in the pool, but, when I do that, the machines just delete and recreate themselves with the Default Image instead.

If I set the provisioning on the pool to "all machines up-front," then I can apply the Secondary Image to individual machines just fine.

5 Replies
BBittner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm this, wanted to test the new secondary image feature and just hat de default image after applying the secondary.

The hint with "all machines up-front" helped here, after enabling that, I got secondary images on my selected clones.

So thanks @mhartstein , that helped me!

0 Kudos
CaptArcher80
Contributor
Contributor

I can also confirm and replicate this behavior.  We are using VMware Horizon 2212, 8.8.0 build - 21073894.

0 Kudos
nzdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone got this working?

0 Kudos
CaptArcher80
Contributor
Contributor

Still an issue for us, however VMware Horizon 2212.2 ESB is now out.  We will upgrade to this version and re-try in Janurary 24.

0 Kudos
nzdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We raised a ticket for this and the post-SR review and discussion with the Engineering/Product team is as follows.

"We have concluded that “Secondary image applies to Instant Clone Pools, only when the pool is selected for All Machines up-front provisioning and not when Machines on Demand is selected."

Please note above mentioned is an expected behaviour/limitation not an issue. We are in the process of adding the above information in the current and future Horizon View 8x public documentations.

In case you do want the feature of Secondary image push to work with Machines on Demand this will go as a feature request for future releases based on the upvotes on it.

For raising a feature request refer: How to submit a VMware Product feature request (1002123)"

0 Kudos