VMware Horizon Community
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Instant Clone Publishing fails

I upgraded my 7.x environment to 7.10 and using a new Windows 10 Image tried to build a new Instant Clone pool. However the pool fails to publish. It creates a CP_Template vm and joins it to the domain, but then stalls out and displays this message:

Publish Error:

• Fault type is UNKNOWN_FAULT_FATAL - After waiting for 300 seconds internal template VM
  • vm-998 is still not powered off. Giving up!

The time on the vm is correct, vmware tools is up to date, the hosts are running 6.7U2 and have all patches installed. So far VMWare support hasn't been able to resolve the issue either. Not sure where to go next, composer and full machine clones both work fine so I'm probably just going to go back to using composer as it has proven to be more reliable.

27 Replies
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well vmware support finally came up with a solution.

Within this registry key:

HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\ViewComposer\ga

I had to create this DWord entry

GPUpdateEnabledOnIT Set to 0

After that i was able to create a new snapshost and deploy it without issue. I've been able to deploy snapshots from multiple 1903 VM's so hopefully this issue is resolved.

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thats good new, any idea why that fixed the issue? I can't see any information online about that key and was wondering why it was needed.

0 Kudos
kennyvz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks VSprague, my frustration with this issue is finally over! Smiley Happy I could see it was something to do with the AD container the cp-template object was in, but couldn't understand what Group Policy settings was causing issues. Now it doesn't process the Group Policies and all is good. Thanks for taking time to post the solution, it's greatly appreciated.

Also, someone's written it up here, which looks like it references (but doesn't credit) your post:

https://virtualmountain.wordpress.com/2020/01/06/horizon-7-10-dem-uem-error-during-provisioning-init...

Thanks again.

Ken.

0 Kudos
chada83
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks a lot for this!

0 Kudos
vmleroy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are these logs from  vSphere or Connection Broker?  How do I pull these logs?

0 Kudos
alldaymcrae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This bug is still in the 8.1 Horizon Agent, Putt this reg entry in the installer VMware..Good Grief..  Thank you for posting the resolution. 

0 Kudos
Fireberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for this post.  I've been banging my head on this for some time attempting to upgrade from an 1809 build to 1909 & 20H2.  Adding this DWord to my master did the trick.  

0 Kudos
caiosantos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

after tried this regedit entry, checked dns and dhcp issues, repair windows 10 with dism operation, check windows event issues NOTHING changed

but... after add the horizon instant clone user service as local administrator in the gold image the problem was vanished 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos