VMware Horizon Community
KungPao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Instant Clone Load Time

I am building up a VDI environment one step at a time with the App Volumes being next.

Right now, I have a Connection Server with a Desktop Pool that has a Floating Instant Clone with Windows 10.

Everything is working, but it takes over 3 minutes for Windows 10 to load. I can see that this is just like (is) a fresh installation of Windows-10 for each user, each time.

Is this one of the downsides of floating, instant clones? Or are there settings or configurations elsewhere to mitigate this fresh installation load time?

My goal is to migrate 400 office workers from physical desktops to Horizon.

All comments and advice are welcome.

Thanks

~Rick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

Our engg suggests that you open up a case with GSS.  They can help to see if you have anything running in your OS that is contributing to this, and can escalate to the right engineering team if they can't pinpoint the issue.

-Angela,

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

By "load", do you mean logging in?  If so, 3 minutes is unusually now, from what I've seen.  Whether you use instant clone or not, does not impact login time.  The login time usually has to do with your image and your policies.  Have you optimized your master image either by following the steps in the docs or using the OS Optimization Tool (you can download it from the fling site).  That should help reduce the login time.

0 Kudos
KungPao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Angela, I appreciate the follow-up. To clarify the "load' part. We have a robust virtualized server environment. If I RDP to those servers or "open console" and enter my username and password, it only takes about 5 seconds to load, or have the session open and nothing spinning, so-to-speak. It takes over 3 minutes  for an Instant Clone to load, after entering my credentials. As I mentioned, the screen information I see is identical to installing Windows 10 for the 1st time on a physical machine. So, is that normal? Am I missing something?

In a way, it makes sense. This isn't a dedicated pool. The settings are wiped. To wipe it, VMware must do a fresh Windows 10 install when a user does a fresh log in. So, I am double-checking to see if this 3+ minute delay is something everyone tolerates. If there is a work-around, please let me know.

I did run the Windows Optimization Tool on the master image before cloning it. I have been doing my best to follow the HorizonView-7-installation.pdf. Not sure if the screen capture helps: summary.PNG

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

This isn't normal.  I'm going to check with engg and get back to you on this.

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

Our engg suggests that you open up a case with GSS.  They can help to see if you have anything running in your OS that is contributing to this, and can escalate to the right engineering team if they can't pinpoint the issue.

-Angela,

0 Kudos