VMware Horizon Community
nasterizer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installtion of Wyse TCX

What is the proper way to install TCX in VDI environment? I would like to get better playback with MPEG files for my users running V90L's.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will need to install the TCX Multimedia Server in each of your XP VMs. You'll want to install it into the template that you use for your VDI deployments. For a V10L, use the firmware version 6.0 or higher and you're all set. For the V90L, you'll need to go here:

And use the Altiris package, the WDM package, or the MSI to install the Client in XPe. Then you'll also need to take care of the license key issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not sure for the V90L, thats the XPe box. Know all the details for the V10L which is ThinOS.

You will certainly require the license key. You can get trial keys from your Wyse partner.

If you don't get any luck I can find out what the scoop is with the V90L.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will need to install the TCX Multimedia Server in each of your XP VMs. You'll want to install it into the template that you use for your VDI deployments. For a V10L, use the firmware version 6.0 or higher and you're all set. For the V90L, you'll need to go here:

And use the Altiris package, the WDM package, or the MSI to install the Client in XPe. Then you'll also need to take care of the license key issue.

0 Kudos
redsox04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nasterizer - I will also add that Wyse TCX is really 3 pieces; Multimedia support, USB virtualization, & Multi-display capablities - http://www.wyse.com/products/software/tcx/index.asp

Your question is specifically around MPEG support so you just need to make sure of 2 things; 1) you install the server/VM side component per Justins link & 2) the client side package for XPe (for Wyse ThinOS/V10L the OS already includes the client side components)

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rodos,

Hope you can still help me. I am looking through the post and looking for information on how to set these three up. I have called Wyse and they are more confusing, and as you can see i am here trying to look for answers.

Basically I have the following:

VC U2 running on a w2k3 server-

We have 7 iscsi hosts running 3.5 u2 as well (patched of course)

we have the Wyse Licenses for the TCX products...

I need to know what and where should I install the products, do they need to be installed on the VC server or do these products need to be installed on each VM??? Any help will be VERY appreciated. Oh and the wyse terminals are V10L...

Thanks in advance..

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay, here is a summary, maybe we should create a Wiki document for this, umm more hours in the day.

1. Get your V10L working and pulling its config off the central FTP servers wnos.ini file.

2. Update the wnos.ini file with the IP address of your time, as the license will not work without one. Timeserver=yourtimeserver

3. Put the TCX license codes into the wnos.ini file with a comma between each one. TCXLicense=a-b-c-d-e,a-b-c-d-f

4. Install the Wyse software into your VM

5. Test and enjoy.

For each of these there are obviously a few details behind each one. When testing look at the log messages on the terminal and in windows. If you have troubles with the USB redirection ensure the USB is enable which can be done through the connection manager or the undocumented (well it was when I had to figure it out) unmapusb=no setting in the ini file.

Cheers, Rodos

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay I created a wiki for some documentation.

I fleshed out an outline. I will grab my documentation and start to flesh it out over the next few days. Its an open Wiki for the community to put content into as well.

Rodos

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rodos,

Thanks for the information, great idea with the wiki;

I created the wnos.ini file no problem thier I even was able to update the firmware kool, the timeserver yep that's working too. Here's my thing the TCX USB Virtualizer does that need to be installed on the VC1 2.5 server or does that need to be installed on each vm and does the same apply to the Mulit-Display? It just seems confusing. I need to get a smartcard reader to work it does not see it in the device manager on the vm, also I need to add a Bloomberg keyboard again does not see it the keyboard works but none of the functions and when you check the device manager all you see is a regular keyboard...

I will try and add what I can in the wiki as well...

Thanks for your help.

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rodos, Wyse Device Manager is it worth using on the VC1 2.5 server?? I figured for now we can just configure each V10L with the users RDP to his vm? What do you think?

Thanks,

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

>Here's my thing the TCX USB Virtualizer does that need to be installed on the VC1 2.5 server or does that need to be installed on each vm and does the same apply to the Mulit-Display? It just seems confusing.

It has to go into each VM. VC is not involved, or even the broker, its the terminal talking to the OS inside the guest.

0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Rodos, Wyse Device Manager is it worth using on the VC1 2.5 server?? I figured for now we can just configure each V10L with the users RDP to his vm? What do you think?

My preference for "poor mans VDI Smiley Happy " with the V10L is to use the NTLM authentication and a config file for each user with their machine name which gets set from DNS.

That way you have single sign on, integration with AD and you just script or cut and paste the config file for each user, all you have to change is the filename and the hostname within it.

Of course with no broker you don't get all those nice features and it does not scale well but hey it works great for small numbers of seats. But once you use a broker you won't want to go back (says Rodos working at home on my mac via the secure VDM gateway to my personal XP machine in the data center in the office!).

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i think i am getting this thing. so this is what i have on my ftp server which is my VC machine.

-inetpub\ftproot\wyse\wnos\wnos.ini

i was thinking of setting up each v10l manually to point to the vm, you mention i can use NTLM, single sign on with AD intergration. can you give me some more details on this? if you have a sample file that would be kool as well.

Thanks for your help i greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To get the poor mans VDI here are some tips.

Read the Wyse Admin guide, not that is very clear. Read the section "Understanding User Accounts and User Profile Ini Files".

You need SignOn=NTLM and DomainList=yourdomain in your global wnos.ini file. In the individual user ini files put a connection string which goes to their hostname/ip address and any other connection string settings you want.

Once you have it all done when the terminal boots it will give the username, password and domain prompt. The domain should already be filled in with yourdomain. User enters details and hits enter. the terminal validates the username and password as correct and then pulls the username.ini file of the FTP server and launches the connection string you have in their ini file. You have to put the $UN and $PW variable into the connection string so the single sign on works, that way you don't have to embed them into the ini file and it takes them from the user.

That might be enough to get you going. I have some detailed docs at work if you get stuck.

It can be a pain to get going but once done works well. Again great for a small number of users and pilots, anything bigger start thinking broker.

Keep us informed of your progress and lets get the current wiki fleshed out over the next few days.

Rodos

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rodos,

I have been on vacation and gladly I did not bring in my laptop... Smiley Happy So I have been out of the loop.

But in any case, I got the Wyse and VM talking and it seems that is working, i was able to update the firmware the ftp and all is good. Here's my problems that I can't get, the Bloomberg Keyboard. I connect the Bloomberg Keyboard to the V10L installed the USB Virtualizer and installed the Bloomberg Keyboard driver. I am able to use the keyboard as a standard keyboard but I am unable to use the FingerPrint Sensor and in device manager it does not recongize the Bloomberg Keyboard. It does find though Personal Identification devices-->Bloomberg Secure Access Technology Device. (weird huh). But when I go to the control panel and open the ATSC Settings the sensor is Unknown.

Any help is appreciated,

BTW nice WIKI!

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos