VMware Horizon Community
bd2021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installation Failed - Horizon Desktop Client on Windows 11

Hoping someone may be able to guide me through correcting this issue.  I'm receiving installation failed message during install and I'm attaching the latest log file.

I've tried installing as an administrator and user.  I've also tried adjusting with and without the install options - Skype, HTLM5, and Teams.  I've also tried to extract it to a temp directory and run the .msi file directly from there.

Update:  I tried editing the hosts file and adding permissions for user, and app level to be able to modify this file (instead of only read access).  And I attempted installation again after (both as admin and user) and it still failed.  I am uploading new log files from the result of that install.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
baochen1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello @bd2021,

Thank you for reporting this issue and uploading the installer logs.

I checked the logs and found the issue:

MSI (s) (0C:64) [11:42:26:954]: Product: VMware Horizon Client -- Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Horizon View Client\vmwHorizonClientController64.dll failed to register.  HRESULT -2147024703.  Contact your support personnel.

The installer was attempting to register a COM dll, but it is failed with an error: "%1 is not a valid Win32 application.". I think it is not true, and I guess some dependencies of the DLL is not found.

Could you please try the following steps?

1. Extract modules from the installer with command "VMware-Horizon-Client-2106-8.3.0-<build number>.exe /X" 
  2. Install vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe
  3. Install VMware-Horizon-Client-2106-8.3.0-<build number>.exe

View solution in original post

11 Replies
SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As per the release notes of latest View Client 2106 it support Windows 10 version 21H1 SAC support and earlier.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Client-for-Windows/2106/rn/horizon-client-windows-2106-rel... 

Not sure if the client has been tested against Windows 11

0 Kudos
bd2021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the follow-up. 

I have had this exact VM ware version previously installed on this very build of windows 11 and I'm certain it's functional.  It was my own uninstall (selected the wrong program from the apps list) which led me to my current predicament.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
baochen1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello @bd2021,

Thank you for reporting this issue and uploading the installer logs.

I checked the logs and found the issue:

MSI (s) (0C:64) [11:42:26:954]: Product: VMware Horizon Client -- Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Horizon View Client\vmwHorizonClientController64.dll failed to register.  HRESULT -2147024703.  Contact your support personnel.

The installer was attempting to register a COM dll, but it is failed with an error: "%1 is not a valid Win32 application.". I think it is not true, and I guess some dependencies of the DLL is not found.

Could you please try the following steps?

1. Extract modules from the installer with command "VMware-Horizon-Client-2106-8.3.0-<build number>.exe /X" 
  2. Install vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe
  3. Install VMware-Horizon-Client-2106-8.3.0-<build number>.exe
bd2021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.  Absolutely I'll try these steps and will follow-up with feedback.

As a side note I just download the latest build 2111 today so I will give future feedback on the latest build 2111 instead of the 2106 I originally submitted this post on.  Let me know if you'd prefer a fresh post to indicate the problem on 2111 or if it's ok to keep it in this thread.  

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
bd2021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

x86 appears to already be installed, left this one alone(selected close): 

bd2021_0-1638402225780.png

x64 appears to also already be installed, I will choose repair for both and try the install as I'm thinking closing them will result in no change.

bd2021_1-1638402316987.png

after choosing repair it shows this at the end of both: 

bd2021_2-1638402356534.png

Wow, this was a much needed sight after such struggle. 

bd2021_3-1638402544678.png

Thank you very much for your help Baochen1!

0 Kudos
AU80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there

i was unable to get the installation going despite following the steps mentioned.

if you kindly help me through (with the attached logs) that would be much appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
bd2021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As a follow-up I'm still having to follow these steps with he latest VMware release (2203 8.5.0 19584195).  I hope VMware is planning on updating their installation in a future release to avoid this problem?

0 Kudos
baochen1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @bd2021 , we have done some changes related this part in 2203. Unfortunately, it looks doesn't work for your case. Could you share installer logs for 2203 and let us check this issue again?

0 Kudos
bd2021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@baochen1 I have come across the same error message on every release since then.  I'll try again with this latest release 2209 and will attach logs if it occurs again.

Thank you,

Brad

0 Kudos
bd2021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good evening @baochen1,

Unfortunately, even on this latest version I'm still seeing Installation Failed.  I'm happy to submit logs again however my confidence level in a resolution has eroded over this past year.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
suhail09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi we are having an issue with a vmware horizon client as it gets crashed often. Please find the log below. Thank you for your help

0 Kudos