VMware Horizon Community
compupartes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install a new version of VMWare View

Hi

I need to change the VMware View version that we are using, now we have 5 ESX Host with the version 4.0.0 504850, vCenter Server 4.0 the View Connection Server 4.0.0 and composer 2.0.0. We have 55 desktops and 50 are linked clone.

I received the order that I must install the new VMware View version without upgrade the one that we have but keeping the virtual machines. I do not have much experience with the composer and the linked clones. As far as I know, the linked clones are used to reduce administration and optimize datastore space but I have some questions about the change.

First ¿What happen with the linked clones if I shutdown or uninstall the Composer and the Connection Server? ¿The clients could continue using their desktops with RDP?

Once I install the new Connection Server and Composer ¿How do I get the VMs to the Pools?

As you can see, I have not much experience with the VDI infraestructure

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The clones would continue to run and be acessible after you turned off the old connection broker and composer but I see no way for you to get them into the new environment without turning them into full clones.   Are the linked clones dedicated or floating?  

compupartes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your comment,

I will check if the clones are dedicated or floating.

At the other hand, the only way to get the VMs into the new enviroment is turning the VMs into full clones? I think that then it would be like another commun VM and we will not take full advantage of the benefits that VMware View can give to us like the storage optimization,  am I correct?

Should I turn off the VM to get it into full clone?

0 Kudos
compupartes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks all.

The project was canceled.

0 Kudos