VMware Horizon Community
Yoshi2014
Contributor
Contributor

Inquiry about Horizon View set up

Hi all

I have inquiry, regarding Horizon View and wonder if anyone can clarify.

There are licenses for

vSphere 5 for Desktop 150QTY

View 5 Premier Add-on 150QTY

and there will be 2 ESXi server for 75QTY and these 2 server will have Windows 7 of 75 QTY each, and those will be powered on.

(license will be split into 2, 75QTY each)

On top of that, there will be

・2 View Connection Server
・1 View Composer Server
・8 Deep Security Virtual Appliance

Question:

Will above 11 server group be counted toward View license of 75QTY or not?

If so, 11 QTY licenses are short.

I guess it will be counted to 75 QTY, correct?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I have always understood it, the license quantities associated with the vSphere Desktop licenses within the vSphere Console are not relevant for View deployments. The only time I have ever seen anyone get a warning about licensing was when the vCenter Server database was full, so the licensing error was really just a red herring. With the vSphere Desktop license included with View, you are entitled to run any server components that are required for your VDI environment to run. This would include the vCenter Server, Connection Servers, Security Servers and any virtual appliances like your Deep Security VAs or VMAs. In addition, you can run as many Windows desktop OS instances as you have Microsoft licenses for, because the View licensing is per concurrent connection. As long as you're not exceeding your concurrent license count, which can be viewed in the View Administrator portal, you'll be fine. I don't have a specific KB article or page in the Admin guide to point to for this, so if anybody else has a more in-depth understanding of the licensing, that would be great. It would be great if somebody could clarify, if I'm misunderstanding the vSphere Desktop licensing.

0 Kudos
Yoshi2014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dvhorvath,

Thank you for your fee back. It was helpful.

As the result of my research, the component of Horizon View is not counted toward 75VMs, so there is no issue to set up like that.

Kind Regards,

Tsuyoshi

0 Kudos