VMware Horizon Community
Josh_Leahy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Initial setup for VDI

Hi everyone,

We want to test how VDI works. I have been running two ESX servers for about 8 months with VC and now it is time to test VDI. For this "proof of concept" test we purchased 3 Wyse 10L thin clients. Now that I have the hardware (I was told that a connection broker would not be needed for such a small implementation) I am confused on what needs to be done next. How do I point the thin client at the VMs. Ideally I would like them to power on and have the XP (possible 2003) VM come right up.

Does anyone now of any documents that show you what steps to take? Or if anyone can provide some guidelines I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TSCJosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, you are correct it will be necessary for you to configure 2 IPs. Although one can be a non routable IP. One annoying thing to note is that the RDP connection will "time-out" when it is not so make sure you set the connection to auto connect after a few seconds.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Josh_Leahy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, I realized that after I configured the Thin Client with an IP then the "Default RDP" protocol appeared on the desktop. I assume this means that both the physical thin client and the VM will need IP's. In essence every Thin Client requires 2 IPS. One IP for the hardware and one IP for the VM- is this correct?

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would just set your RDP seesion to point to your VM by name and have it auto login.

When my users power on their thin client they see a blank desktop with the RDP client in the center. After about 2 seconds, RDP auto launches and connects to my VDI session. At this point the user will see the VDI desltop / windows login screen, or in my case Novell client login window.

TSCJosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, you are correct it will be necessary for you to configure 2 IPs. Although one can be a non routable IP. One annoying thing to note is that the RDP connection will "time-out" when it is not so make sure you set the connection to auto connect after a few seconds.

0 Kudos