VMware Horizon Community
Hydex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Individual Desktop, no vCenter : hidden from my Connection Server

Hello,

I'm currently on my first installation of View and already have problems... I downloaded the trial version and installed the Connection Server, then I installed View Agent 3.1 on a Windows XP Pro SP2 virtual machine inside the same host, it seems to work up to here but when I try to add this machine as an Individual Desktop in my Connection Server, it just doesn't appear : I choose Individual Desktop, Other Source, input an ID, and when it's time to choose a machine, nothing appears. I tried inputting the IP but no change.

Config is ConnectionServer and View Agent 3.1, first on server 2003, second on XP Professional. They are in the same AD domain, they can communicate (I am even able to access the administration panel of the connection server from my would be agent machine).

Any idea of what I missed?

Thank you !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your parameter is spelt incorrectly, should be "VDM_VC_MANAGED_Agent=0"

(You have VMD instead of VDM).

Thanks

Jon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

If your XP VM is on a host managed by vCenter Server (VirtualCenter) then don't select 'Other source', select 'Managed by VirtualCenter' when creating the individual desktop.

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
Hydex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oops, I didn't explain my problem correctly, English and me...

Thanks Jon but I meant that I currently have no vCenter on this licensed ESX (which has some other dev uses) and would like to avoid installing a trial one on it, I'm not sure what could happen when the trial expires. That's why I directly created a VM with XP on the ESX and would like it to serve as an individual desktop 'managed' by my Connection Server. It's in the same network, same domain and yet I canoot see it :_|

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Check this blogpost:

http://www.thatsmyview.net/2009/05/25/how-to-use-view-without-vcenter-and-esxi/

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
Hydex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, that's what I was looking for but...

It doesn't seem to work with view agent 3.1, I think your command line should configure the installer so that it becomes similar to the one on a real (non virtual) desktop pc which asks for the coordinates of a Connection Server but the installer remains the same when I enter

D:\>VMware-viewagent-3.1.0-167577.exe /V"VMD_VC_MANAGED_Agent=0" (c/p from my command line)

I only get License Agreement > Custom Setup ( USB Redir, View Auth, View Composer Agent, Virtual Print ) > Install >Finish

0 Kudos
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your parameter is spelt incorrectly, should be "VDM_VC_MANAGED_Agent=0"

(You have VMD instead of VDM).

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
es123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you created a pool before adding vm ?

0 Kudos
Hydex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Jon, that was the problem (it's VMD on Lingo's blog, typo I think). Now recognized.

0 Kudos