VMware Horizon Community
silverchair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the begining..... How do i start setting up VDI?

Ok,

send me back to the start. I read the VM material on what VDI does. I have downloaded my 60 day trial software.

But

Which package do i install on what server?

Can someone spell it out to me simply?

So my config so far is nothing. I can work on ESXi 4, ESX 4 or Workstation. What goes where?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patten_aaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Silverchair,

You can break it down this way:

Thick/Thin client -> Install the View Client

Virtual Desktop -> Install the View Agent (so it can talk to the View Manager Server)

View Manager Connection Server (VM or Physical) -> Install ViewManager (after install, attach to vCenter)

vCenter Server (VM or Physical) -> Install View Composer (requires System DSN setup)

Let me know if that crystalizes it for you.

~Aaron Patten

~Aaron Patten Please award points for helpful answers. I got kids to feed 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
silverchair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware-viewconnectionserver-3.1.0-167577.exe on a windows 2003 VM does nothing. The install starts up with the splash screen, loads the bar across the bottom and then it just disappears, no errors, no messages, and nothing in eventvwr......???

0 Kudos
patten_aaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Silverchair,

I wrote a solutions guide on installing View for use with EMC Celerra iSCSI based snapshots which you may or may not be using. However, chapter 4 does have some configuration steps that show how to actually install View and get it up and running. Let me know if you find it helpful or not.

Comments about the contents and context of the paper are most welcome. Since we are always looking to build a better mouse trap, suggestions for future content would also be appreciated :smileycool:

~Aaron Patten

0 Kudos
mjsvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would start by getting your ESX and vcenter environment set up.

Once that is functioning, you can get into the VMware View Components.

The admin guide is rather helpful and there are other solution guides from VMware and storage vendors like above to get good information from.

Jason Silva http://silvaecs.com http://twitter.com/silvaecs
0 Kudos
silverchair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX and vcenter is ready to go, i will check the admin guides again then..

so let me just spell it out.

vmware view client is installed on my test VM XP box.

View Connection Server needs to be installed on any server (currently a win 2003 VM)

It needs to point to a VC that has View composer server installed.

0 Kudos
patten_aaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Silverchair,

You can break it down this way:

Thick/Thin client -> Install the View Client

Virtual Desktop -> Install the View Agent (so it can talk to the View Manager Server)

View Manager Connection Server (VM or Physical) -> Install ViewManager (after install, attach to vCenter)

vCenter Server (VM or Physical) -> Install View Composer (requires System DSN setup)

Let me know if that crystalizes it for you.

~Aaron Patten

0 Kudos
silverchair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you install it the following way to save on servers?

vCenter Server (VM or Physical) -> Install View Composer (requires System DSN setup) and Install ViewManager

also whats this? "requires System DSN setup" is there documentation on how this is to be configured?

0 Kudos
patten_aaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Silverchair,

I would not install View on the same server as vCenter as there will be port overlap and you will have to configure one or the other to use non-standard ports which usually means you are asking for trouble Smiley Wink As to systemDSN setup, the View Manager 3.1 Administration Guide has information on creating it starting on page 126.

~Aaron Patten

Please award points for helpful answers. I got kids to feed Smiley Happy