I am in the process of building my homelab and would like to start really digging into some automation tools and was wondering what the people tend to use for image management + automation. SCCM is off the table without question. I'd trust SCCM to install my Windows OS but that's about it.
I'd really like to get into something like Chef/Puppet but I feel like those won't be able to do everything I need it to do.
What I am looking for primarily is something that will:
1) Build a new VM - PowerCLI/vSphere API
2) Install Windows - MDT? Others?
2a) Post install enter audit mode
3) Perform Windows configuration - I've written most of this in PowerShell along with configuration tests as well. I'd like a better tool to either perform these changes as well as test
4) Install Applications and Configurations
5) Cleanup and Seal image for use
As I talk about this since it's Windows primarily that is used in VDI - MDT makes the most sense for that purpose. However I'd really like to get into Linux, vSphere, and some networking automation as well.