VMware Horizon Community
Mike_MT
Contributor
Contributor

IPSec Status Not in use but it's configured and working

Is this a bug? On my Security Server Details it says "IPSec Status: not in use", but I have it enabled and I just checked the monitoring details and the stats are increasing, so it certainly looks like IPSec is being used.

Mike

0 Kudos
12 Replies
nickfritsch
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing the same thing.  Have you received any feedback on an answer to this?

0 Kudos
Mike_MT
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, no feedback at all. I'm assuming it's just a cosmetic bug. Either that or something is quite broken internally and there's nothing that can be done about it until VMware issues a fix.

Mike

0 Kudos
nickfritsch
Contributor
Contributor

I found the following KB which outlines how to determine if traffic being passed from Security server to Connection server is secure.  I'm showing a large number of Confidential bytes sent and received.  Also, upon connecting I am seeing that number change.  Therefore I'm assuming that this is indeed a bug however I plan on reaching out to our local VMware team to confirm.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200017...

0 Kudos
Mike_MT
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I had already confirmed that on my system as well, which is why I'm leaning toward cosmetic bug.

Mike

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know this is an old thread, but did anyone get any update on this?

I'm on 5.1.3 and see the same bug.

0 Kudos
Tony1216
Contributor
Contributor

I am testing an upgrade to View 5.3 and still seeing the same behavior. If I leave the Firewall rules that the install automatically creates then the Security Servers will go red for a little while with IPSec is configured but not active on the security server and the View Connection Server instance and then turn green for a little while. If I manually create the Firewall Rules with all Ports instead of just the specific port 8009 that the install creates then they will stay green but then when I try to upgrade to future versions the upgrade fails. We reported this to VMware back when we installed View 5.0 and I can't believe they still have not fixed this stupid cosmetic bug!!!

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Did you get an SR-number when you reported this? I cant find any records of this bug...

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Tony1216
Contributor
Contributor

yes we did VMware Support Request 13325264005 

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Hmm, it seems to link to this kb: VMware KB: Setting up an IPsec tunnel between a security server and a View Connection Server instanc...

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Tony1216
Contributor
Contributor

yes and the KB says for version 5.0 and earlier. 5.1 and newer is supposed to create the IPsec rules during install.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Exactly, that was the strange part. Will make some inquires internally.

0 Kudos
Tony1216
Contributor
Contributor

I just opened another SR. 14438407002

thanks

0 Kudos