VMware Horizon Community
kappyninewood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IP lease time for linked clone desktops?

I have a pool of 80 IP addresses for my POC and was wondering what's the recommended lease time?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

will depend how often you plan on refreshing or recomposing, personally in my test environment i have it down to 4 hours. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

will depend how often you plan on refreshing or recomposing, personally in my test environment i have it down to 4 hours. 

0 Kudos
bradstaenglen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

4 hours is perfect. We learned the hard way on our POC for 100 users. The lease was set by default to a week by our network team. We ran out in 4 days. Whynot have you had any issues where the desktops lease expires and then it will get thrown away after the disconnect period you set in View Administrator? We are a bit worried if we run out of IP's and it can't pull another IP within the 2 hour disconnect window will it do a refresh?

lennyburns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would also do 4 hours, except is your DR strategy dictates something smaller.

Don't forget to consider your RTO and if your IP DHCP pool is going to be reused in a recovery site.

If your RTO is minutes, (or less then 4 hours), and your clients will be entirely respawed with (new MAC addresses and )request IPs using a series of new machines in under 4 hours, then you need to set your leas time to less then that or you'll work fine until the day that a cutover is neeed, and in the frenzy of everything, your DR solution works, but noone gets an IP.

that would be a facepalm moment.

Phoenycks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In fact, the documentation recommends a 1 hour lease time, particularly in a floating pool. Certainly pool size and network configuration would be a consideration, but really a DHCP request is pretty light network traffic - I've always set the lease time to 1 hour, never had a problem. And in a lot of my deployments, 1 hours is perfect for something like a school where classes change frequently, so students log in and out often.

0 Kudos
lennyburns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Agreed, however I would still look at any disaster recovery Time objectives that you have currently. Compare this to your lease time.

I.e. If your recovery time is 15 minutes then your lease time should be no longer than that.

0 Kudos