VMware Horizon Community
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IDD will not be installed - Windows Server 2019

I have the problem that I have a Windows Server 2019 (1809 - 17763.4131) with RDSH role and I do not get the VMware Indirect Display (IDD) installed.

As you can read here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2212/virtual-desktops/GUID-3096DA8B-034B-435B-877E-5D2B186...

VmwVidd gets normally installed by default and is set to "absent" in registry. I can find VmwVidd as asent but there is no "VMware Horizon Indirect Display Driver" device in the Windows device manager and I don't find any IDD-driver in c:\windows\systems32\drivers\UMDF\vmwvidd.dll.

Does anyone have any idea what this problem could be? Did I miss something to install in preperation?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
yukiafronia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, @TomH201110141 

I also tested to see if I could reproduce the problem in the same way.

Indeed, the VMware Indirect Display Driver (IDD) was not installed when I installed the Horizon Agent if I was in RDSH mode on Windows Server.

Perhaps you mean to use the SVGA Driver from VMware Tools.

After further testing,
IDD was also installed on Windows Server when Horizon Agent was installed as VDI without RDSH installed.

So the situation you are having problems with IDD not installing in RDSH mode may be a VMware specification.

Tags (1)
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @yukiafronia 

thank you very much for testing!

I really mean IDD and not SVGA driver. I knowingly excluded the SVGA drivers when installing the VMware tools. I always do so, when preparing Windows 10 or 11 Golden Images. 

As I know the RDSH role is mandatory when using Windows Server for multiple users as Instant Clone.

It's really strange that the IDD driver doesn’t get installed. I also tried a force install of IDD with a parameter in silent install on CMD. But no luck!

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Looking at the document that you shared, I would expect this to be expected and you I believe you should use SVGA on 2019.

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos
yukiafronia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Jubish-Jose @TomH201110141 

As hose -san said, if the RDSH role is installed, it is probably designed to use the SVGA driver.

As far as I can tell from testing that IDD is installed and the pattern available on the virtual machine can only be used with Windows 10 , 11 and Windows Server deployed as a Desktop pool.

I highly recommend consulting VMware's Professional Service for design specifications.
I have also experienced that Global Support has refused to deal with design specifications on a best-effort basis.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos