VMware Horizon Community
marcgijsman
Contributor
Contributor

ICA connection from virtual desktop.

Hi All,

We have VDI setup and it works fine.

When I am working in a VD and make a citrix connection through the web client the performance drops significantly.

We are accessing the VD's over a shared (max 50 users) 20 Mb connection (response time 156 millisec.). We don't have this problem when accessing the VD over the LAN and opening the same external Citrix connection.

Is there anyway to tune the performance of this ICA over RDP connection?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
marcgijsman
Contributor
Contributor

Too bad nobody can help me. I think the question is not very strange I geuss there is no experience about this around.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Marc

Question one,

Where are the Citrix servers local to the VDI ie same LAN or external to yourselves?

Question two

Is it just Citrix preformance withing Wan delivered apps that is causing the issues

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
marcgijsman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tom,

The Citrix servers are external to our VDI environment and as mentioned our users using the virtual desktops also have quiet some latency (156 millisec. for a ping).

It is a combination thats the problem if we use the slow connection (156 millisec) to open a VD we can still work quiet fast (browse the internet, access network files and applications local to the VD) but when accessing an extranet application through an Citrix webclient performance degrades. It does not degrade when using the same extranet app. on my physical laptop using the same internet connection as the VD does. So we were thinking the problem is caused by the fact that RDP and ICA which both do screen refresh but of course not in sync.

I don't know if there is a way to overcome this??

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

what is performance like if you run a VDI instance form the same LAN as the farm and then, open up the citrix session?

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
marcgijsman
Contributor
Contributor

Then performance is good, no noticeble delays.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

its not preformance of the Citrix session in the RDP session that is a issue here, it is the quality of your Network link, one thing you could do is if your Clients have local storage is to allow bitmap caching on the client device.

and disable thing like show contents of windows while draging. configure your Experiance settings to Modem (56 Kbs) and check preformance, also have a natter to your WAN Provider regarding QOS

0 Kudos
hagedorn
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting, how do you enabloe that Bit map Cahing ?

We are allso seeing the same ...

Under XP2 as the client system with an RDP to a VD.

0 Kudos
marcgijsman
Contributor
Contributor

We use the Leostream connection broker which enables us to supply the RDP settings used for the connection. Among which "bitmapcachepersistenable:i:1" to enable bitmap caching. Bye the way we optimized the XP vm's and the RDP settings for optimal performance.

0 Kudos