VMware Horizon Community
vmmedmed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IC Pools: IP addressing size has to match the physical vlan configuration

In this VMW video on Multi VLAN for instant clones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snfybp2AM6k - the presenter says at 1:30 "IP addressing size has to match the physical vlan configuration". Coming from the network side of things - a physical VLAN is a layer 2 construct and IP addressing sits on top of whatever VLAN. So saying they must match - to my ear - is like saying your apples must match your oranges. Can someone please clarify for me what is meant by "physical VLAN" in this context? 

Also in our environment the admins have set each Instant Clone pool to have port group size 750. Might you have a thought as to where this figure would come from? Generally as the network guy I assign each VLAN a /23 affording 500 or so usable addresses. They were having issues with multi vlan running out of IPs and then they set some of the IC pools to 750 which seemed to make their issue better. But I have no sense why 750 would be better than 1000 or 500 or where that figure would come from. 

We have 10 IC pools each each with multiple and many overlapping port groups now each configured with 750 ports. How does VMWare determines which port group the IC should use and whether there are IP addresses available to serve it?

0 Kudos
0 Replies