VMware Horizon Community
amr12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was given these 16 steps to be preformed after every update to the parent...

I was given these steps by a third party consultant to run every time we update our parent images with software and/or security updates.  We have 9 images and update them once a month, you can imagine the pain in doing this every time.  I also have a ticket open with support but wanted to check with you guys too.  Are these necessary to preform before every recompose?

Below are the steps to update the VMX file.  The most important thing is shutting down the VM completely before proceeding to the next install.  You will also need to ensure the video driver matches the version of View (URL below).

1. Uninstall VMware Tools
  2. Uninstall VMware View agent
  3. Shut down the VM
  4. Power on the VM.
  5. Update VMware Tools.
  6. Shut down the VM
  7. Power on the VM.
  8. Re-install VMware View agent (or install new VMware View agent if applicable).
  9. Shut down the VM
  10. Power on the VM.
  11. Install the APEX 2800 drivers (if applicable).
  12. Shut down the VM
  13. Power on the VM.
  14. Install the Teradici Audio Driver (if applicable).
  15. Shut down the VM
  16. Power on the VM.

After step 16 you would do your regular release IP/snapshot step.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

That seems like  overkill but I'm sure they have some valid reasons for doing it that way.   I will update my tools and agent if applicable but I don't feel that need to do it every time I change my image.     The general rule of thumb is if you update the tools then you need to go ahead and reinstall or update the agent too.  

0 Kudos
amr12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We aren't updating anything really, just uninstalling and re installing tools, view agent, and some drivers all of which are the same version as before.  From what I have gathered doing those steps re-writes the VMX file but that consultant we use it no longer with us.

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

Those steps really aren't necessary unless you're intending to update the relevant software on the template. For regular changes such as applying windows hotpatches or installing regular applications you'll only need to do those ops. As mittim12 says, we generally recommend you re-install the agent after updating vmtools as they tend to have some shared (and, depending on release dates, differently versioned) components.

0 Kudos
IanVentura
Contributor
Contributor

you have a lots of steps in there but yeah, mittim12 is correct there must be a valid reason for doing that way. In my case, I only upgraded my vmtools the last time it prompted me that is running out of date. After that give it a good reboot, run the command.bat and do the normal snapshot. 

0 Kudos