VMware Horizon Community
ekmhenry
Contributor
Contributor

I need to increase Disk size on Individual Virtual Dekstop

I created a Individual Virtual Desktop with 16GB thin disk. I now want to expand the drive. I expand the drive to be a thick disk. When I go into edit settings the option to change the disk is grayed out. How can I add more disk space to the existing disk? I am planning on using Acronis to expand within Windows.

Thanks for your help..

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

Is the option still greyed out when the desktop is powered off?

If so, I would keep it powered off, go into the settings of another VM, add a hard disk, and follow the wizard, when the option to create a new one comes up, choose the option to use an existing disk, navigate to your individual one and select.

Go into this VM settings, increase the disk space and apply. Open this VM, power on, open disk management and see the new disk. Use the option to expand.

If it won't let you, open a command prompt. Run 'diskpart' then run 'list volumes'.

Identify the volume you want to expand eg 'select volume 2'

run 'expand'.

Then exit. Power off this VM. Edit its settings, remove the hard disk (make sure you don't select the option here to 'delete from disk'.

Then power on the original Individual Virtual Desktop.

It should be expand.

Hope this helps,

Dan

0 Kudos
ekmhenry
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried all the options you mention but it is still grayed out. I Migrated that VM to a new datastore and convert it to thic disk but still the same. I remove the disk from the (vPC) VM and add it to a server 2003 VM but still grayed out. No sure what I can try again or wish I knew what the reason is that it is grayed.

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Is/Was VM running on snapshot? For snapshot disks, this option will be always greyed out!

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
ekmhenry
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I verified that there are no snapshots on the VM

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Looks like there is a disk issue here....Try converting the VM using converter.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
Stockcoll
Contributor
Contributor

Is your disk set to IDE or SCSI? We have found that you can increase the size of the disk if it is set to SCSI.

0 Kudos
ekmhenry
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is set to IDE but there are no options for ISCSI. These are Windows XP Pro VM's and the only options I have are IDE..

0 Kudos