VMware Horizon Community
Anfernee86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just updated everything to vSphere 4.1

I am not a "View guy" and I updated everything to vSphere 4.1 only to find out View is not supported. I read all the official statements from VMware and got the same over the hone with support. I am desperate at this point. The old 4.0 vCenter server is running with the old Composer services running connecting to a SQL Express DB. I tried to create a 32bit DSN on the new vCenter server back to the old vCenter DB for View. I was successful on the creation of the DSN but I can't get passed the screen where I enter DSN and database credentials in the Composer install. Does anyone have a workaround at all?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mclark
Expert
Expert

I don't think you're going to be able to do what you're trying to do, if I'm understanding you correctly. You can't install Composer on vCenter 4.1 and simply point it at an old DB. Composer ties into vCenter, and it will not work with vCenter 4.1. You will have to keep Composer on vCenter 4 for now, until View 4.5 is released (hopefully very soon). Some people have been bringing up two vCenters temporarily, VC 4.1 for vSphere 4.1 update, and VC 4 to keep managing View until 4.5 is released.

Anfernee86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got the Composer service running on the vCenter 4.1 server. I migrated the RSA key as stated in the Admin Guide. I then created a 64 bit DSN (32 bit did not work) to the old Composer database and used that during the install. When the install finished and tried to start the Composer service, it failed but gave me an option to retry. I went into Services and changed credentials from System to the domain admin account. I went back to the install and clicked Retry and the service started. Now it is test time. We are backing up user data in case this blows things up. I'll be back.......

0 Kudos