VMware Horizon Community
ikt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to use Dell Optiplez FX160 as view thin client

Hi,

I have read a lot of articles about installing the View client software on computers already running some flavor of windows.  However wouldn't it be possible to have dumb FX160 thin clients connect directly to the View Connection server and boot the image provided from this server?

In the FX160 BIOS setup I can specifi the IP of a socalled ImageServer, but I assume that it cannot be used to point to the View Connection server.

In any case, where do I find info on how to elegantly use this hardware as View Clients?

Can I expect acceptable performance running these as Win7 clients?

Thanks a lot for comments

regards Tor

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JDHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tor, I can't speak to image-booting the FX160, although we do use them as the primary thin client in our View environment. We use them as a soft fail-back for our VMs, so that if our users are having problems connecting for some reason, they are still on the domain & able to access their resources.

That said, I can caution you that the display hardware on the FX160 is not as robust as I would like. Don't expect good performance out of that little SiS chipset at higher resolutions. At everything up to 1680x1050 we've been fine on DVI, and VGA on them works great up to about 1280x1024, but it's no quadro card by any means. I very much doubt you would have a good high-res experience with Aero.

0 Kudos
rseabrooke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have embedded XP and use the autologin (control panel) and add the view client to startup.

The user turns on thin client and all the user has to do is enter their password for view.

0 Kudos