VMware Horizon Community
Don40
Contributor
Contributor

How to support the XP VM's in VDI

Are there any options for troubleshooting the XP VM’s in VDI ENVIRONMENT? In XP VM machine, when we try to take control, it logs off the user.

We need to take control of the XP VM machines mainly for troubleshooting end users .

I tired the below option from one of the VMware community link but I get the below error..

http://communities.vmware.com/message/716406#716406

>shadow 0 /server:buckbe

Your session may appear frozen while the remote control approval is being negotiated.

Please wait...

Remote control failed. Error code 7050

Error :The requested session cannot be controlled remotely.

This may be because the session is disconnected or does not currently have a user logged on

We use “winvnc” in our environment and we don’t have any SMS or Dameware products

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there,

try UltraVNC. But you have to install it in the users session, not as Windows service. You can start the process via RunOnce or inteh Autostart folder for every user. You can also use Microsoft Remote Assitance to support your user.

Was this answer helpful for you? Please use the correct/helpful buttons!

0 Kudos
quietman
Contributor
Contributor

You can use the built-in Remote Assitance tool. It's stable, and has proved itself during our VDI proof of concept. It can be configured not to prompt the user for permissions by modifying two of the file on the virtualised machines: -

Procedure: On the TARGET computer, modify two files.

File #1: The change to Helpeeaccept.htm eliminates the initial "Would you like to give <user> access to your computer?"

%windir%\pchealth\HelpCtr\System\Remote Assistance\helpeeaccept.htm

at about lines 156-158

-

original----

btnAccept.disabled = false;

btnDecline.disabled = false;

btnDecline.focus();

-

-

new----

btnAccept.disabled = false;

btnDecline.disabled = false;

btnDecline.focus();

DoAccept();

-

File #2: The change to TakeControlMsgs.htm eliminates the

prompt after the expert clicks "Take Control", "Do you wish to let

<user> share control of your computer?"

%windir%\pchealth\helpctr\System\Remote Assistance\Interaction\Server\TakeControlMsgs.htm

Lines 25-29, change from

-original----

alert( L_ERRACCESSDENIED_Text );

return;

}

return;

-

-

new----

alert( L_ERRACCESSDENIED_Text );

return;

}

onClickHandler(0)

return;

-

Regards

Chris Yates

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

DameWare is also another valid method, however modifying the built-in Remote Assitance tool. as per Chris' post is my perfered method, It's stable, and has proven itself to many a client their VDI proof of concept and on those that have gone into production.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There is also a GPO to configure the access ...

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are there GPO settings to stop the prompting for the user and if so, where?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, my fault. I ment the GPO for activating Remote Assistance and Remote Assistance Offer.

0 Kudos