VMware Horizon Community
kappyninewood
Contributor
Contributor

How to start a View Pilot?

I need to gather a list of about 50 users to do a View Pilot for my company. What is the best way to go about setting up this pilot?

Can I do it without doing a LiquidWare Desktop Assessment?   Should I just get a list of the 50 users, how much data they're using, which apps..etc and setup View?

Wwhat's the best approach for this?  Would love to hear from the experts out there who have completed a View Pilot and how they went about doing and were they sucessfull?

Thanks, will award point to ALL.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The Liquidware assessment is not required but it's extremely helpful to know the types of resource usage to expect.   I think the fact gathering is a good first step.   You should know what apps are involved, what type of users are involved ( knowledge works vs heavy graphics users),  how will you design the environment, etc.

Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My advice is to categorize your user depending on their usage and application. Test your application with your heavy-user. Also, evaluation your WAN speed link.

The success of your VDI implementation is mostly based on the user experience. Not enought fast, it will never be a success.

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
casperinmd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disk IOPS.

This is critical. For my pilot of 5 users, we had big performance issues b/c I had put my replica on SATA drives on our SAN. It now resides on SSD and the clones are on 15k fiber, but just pay strong attention to your IOPS.

0 Kudos