VMware Horizon Community
tomtom1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to see contents of admx file

Hi, anyone knows how to see contents of admx file? I am not a AD guy. I was told you can see it on your local windows 7 computer by adding the admx file into %systemroot%PolicyDefinitions/ and then using gpedit.msc.

I tried that option but I don't see any new contents or contents from view agent, or connection broker in the Group Policy editor.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Akopylov
Commander
Commander

Hello, tomtom1.

Firstly if you have 2 or more DCs I would recommend you to create Central Store for Group Policy administrative templates: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929841/en-us. Actually the thing is about creating folder "%SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\domain\Policies\PolicyDefinitions" and putting all content from "%SystemRoot\PolicyDefinitions%" in it (of course if your FRS/DFS replication works properly).

Then you should put .admx files in "%SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\domain\Policies\PolicyDefinitions" folder and .adml files in "%SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\domain\Policies\PolicyDefinitions\en-US" folder. Thats all - you will see View parameters in User/Computer configuration\Policies\Administrative templates (in gpmc.msc, gpedit.msc - is for local computer policy, not group policy).

View administrative templates usually propagated in .adm format, you could convert it by ADM_Editor SysPro Software -> ADM Editor Summary (it have 30-days trial). Microsoft ADMX Migrator does not convert View templates properly. I can share my 5.3 templates (in attachment).

Sorry for my bad english. Hope it will help.

0 Kudos