VMware Horizon Community
dcovell
Contributor
Contributor

How to move replicas to another storage

I have 2 replicas that I assume all my desktops pull off of. They are currently residing on my SAN with SATA drives and I have some SSD drives on the same SAN that I would rather them be on. It appears there is no way to do this in the VSphere Client as those options are all greyed out.

It makes sense that it woudl be difficult to move these replicas since the linked clones pull from them but there must be some way to move them. This is purley for performance purposes.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the way the linked clones work but from what I can see is when creating or updating a automated pool the replica is created and those vmdk files and associated files become the master that all the desktops pull from. If those files are on a very fast Solid State Disk then I would expect to see better performance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
regnak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Makes sense what you're trying to do, use tiered storage instead of being tied to the replica/LUN design in the current version of View. I recommend you talk to your VMware Sales Rep and sign an NDA to look at View 4.5 and what it offers in this specific area.

Mike

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The problem with the current verison is that the replica is created on the datastores that the clones are stored on. So if you wanted your replica on SSD then you would have to put the clones on that same SSD LUN/Datastore. Not sure what kind of storage you utilize but EMC is coming out with a tiering at the block level that may work for you or as the other poster suggested you can sign an NDS and see what's on the roadmap for future versions of View.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

EdOB
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I have had some scenario's in my earlier pools I built, that required me to move some linked clones to other data stores because they were filling up. It wasn't pretty, but it can be done.. If you migrate using (remember on the linked clone) "Same as" option, you will get the parent plus the clone on the new data store.. If you use "Thin provision" option you will get a replica with the clone to move. Now that being said, you can also rebalance and include that datastore in the mix. I was however assuming you wanted to preserve the clone..

0 Kudos