VMware Horizon Community
gvenkatsumanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to know the snapshot of the VM?

Hi All,

We are using VDI in our organization. We are using Linked clones.

I have to recompose all the pools every week. And at the time of recompose some users will be connected to the VM's. So generally I select wait for the users to logof while recomposing. But some of the VM's are not getting recomposed even after the users logoff due to task request timed out error. And we are manually recomposing those machines.

Is there any way to know the snapshot being used by the VM's of the pool at one glance (i.e. which snapshot it is using whether the new one or the old one)

Else I have to manually check with each VM and know the snap details of that VM. We are having 900 such VM's in my environment.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Go to pool inventory, - "View composer details" and sort on "last image" column

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What version of View are you using?   The later versions have a  Desktop (View Composer Details) option under the inventory of the pool.   This will show which snapshot is being used by a VM.

0 Kudos
gvenkatsumanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are using view 4.6. Are you saying that we can view the snapshot of all the VM's as a list?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm sure it was available in 4.6 too but  you would have to view it on a per pool basis.

0 Kudos
gvenkatsumanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, we can know the snapshot of a particular pool and a particular VM.

But I want to know the snapshot of all the VM's in one pool at a glance?

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Go to pool inventory, - "View composer details" and sort on "last image" column

0 Kudos
gvenkatsumanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This will reduce my manual work by 80%. Thank You.

0 Kudos
jkpk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Venkat,

Recompose the pools on non-peak hours. If the pools 100+ VM's, recomposing when 50+ users are connected is not a best practice. It will overload you with administrative work to be done for the user connected sessions.

Pravin

0 Kudos