VMware Horizon Community
Ascii7x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to install the view agent on windows image and upload to connection server?

Hello, I am running a trial to test on this Horizon View. If my employers like it they will implement it. I installed and configured : composer, connection, and security server.

I have created a Win 7 64-bit image and did the optimization for it. I am trying to figure out how to install a view agent on it and to upload it into connection server. i read the manuals from online but maybe my eyes are tired that i did not catch that.  How do I proceed to the next level so i can launch and test on a Wyse client?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At a high level you would install the agent, shutdown the machine, create a snapshot, and then create your pool based on that snapshot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Ascii7x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I found the agent and installed it.

What is the best way to upload it into the connection server?

I would like to use win7 64-bit for me and several users.

We are the power users and require more memory versus the regular employees.

Is it best to have a 64-bit for power users and a 32-bit version for regular users?

Or, is it best to have two different versions of 64-bit one for power users and one for regular users, each version with theri own optimization level?

please advice.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At a high level you would install the agent, shutdown the machine, create a snapshot, and then create your pool based on that snapshot.

0 Kudos
Ascii7x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got that far, right now i am up to adding the pool in a folder but the folder I created did not show up when asked to place in a VM Folder Location.

I created a folder called "PowerUser" but it does not show up.vmcapture1.JPG

0 Kudos
Ascii7x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where do I create a folder so i can place my desktops? there is no other location for me to place it at.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

perhaps a refresh or timing issue?

0 Kudos
Ascii7x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I waited 30 minutes and also hit the refresh button several times but nothing happened.

So i placed it in the folder called "discovered virtual machine" that was there.

i hope that does not mess things up.

it works since i am running a win 7 off my laptop inside the network.

i guess if it shows up later i can remove the newly created one and recreate it again to the correct folder.

Quick question is it best to add the gold image to the domain and then clone it?

or is it best to keep it off the domain for the base image?

I will be testing this out on my ipad and iphone to see how it works.

I did create a security server for that purpose.

Next week I will test against a WYSE terminal.

Is it best to have a win7 64-bit for regular users or a 32-bit win 7?

For power users running win7-64bit  i can allocate 3-gigs ram or simply 2gigs.

Also, is it best to install applications such as Outlook 2013 or filemaker 12 pro(database) on the base image or simply have it as a thinapp?

FM12 is about 700megs.

There are several applications that depend on java and certain websites that depend on flash and java.

Those two have constant updates.  Is it best to have them installed on the base image or not?

Does view take care of that?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The x64 or x32 bit decision would need to be made by someone familiar with your environment and the needs of your users.   There is no problem doing either one within the View environment.    That same thought process will be required for deciding what will be included in your base.   The rule of thumb is if the app will be deployed to everyone in the organazation then why not include it in the base image.   From what I have heard the Office 2010 suite is a really tough thing to try and ThinApp.

I'm moving this post from the View BootCamp forum to the general View Forum.

Ascii7x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THank u, i will probably then bulk it together then. What configurations do i need to do to set up usage with an ipad? I already installed security server n its linked to connection server

0 Kudos