olivermclean
Contributor
Contributor

How to increase video performance

Jump to solution

I have a Horizon View 6 environment which is used by 100 users. The clients run at a 1280 x 1024 resolution and have 2 vCPU's and 3 Gb of RAM.

It all works fine, except the videoperformance is poor. Watching a full screen video on Youtube doesn't run smooth at all. And also minimizing and maximizing a window or dragging it doesn't run smooth.

I've tried a few settings like turning on 3d rendering and adjusting the max. video memory, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Is there any way to improve the video performance?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
olivermclean
Contributor
Contributor

I've disabled the 3D setting, but I also found out that the View agent wasn't installed in the base image....

After a recompose with the View agent, the video performed reasonable!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RandyDGroves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assuming you do not have a GPU in the system, enabling 3D may actually make performance worse, so keep it disabled. Also, be sure the "hardware acceleration" is disabled in whatever browser you are using to access YouTube since there is no GPU to do the acceleration. Also be sure that you have set the power management on your server to "high performance" as described in this KB (Poor virtual machine application performance may be caused by processor power management settings (1...).

If you are still having performance issues, you should try a Teradici PCoIP Hardware Accelerator card (Teradici PCoIP Hardware Accelerator (APEX 2800) | Teradici PCoIP Solutions). The performance of your client devices could also be an issue if their CPU is pegged while decoding the video. In that case, you either need to get clients with faster and/or more CPU cores or use PCoIP Zero clients for the ultimate in performance and security (http://www.teradici.com/products-and-solutions/pcoip-products/zero-clients )

0 Kudos
olivermclean
Contributor
Contributor

I've disabled the 3D setting, but I also found out that the View agent wasn't installed in the base image....

After a recompose with the View agent, the video performed reasonable!

0 Kudos
ymagalif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oliver,

Besides Randy's suggestions and your response, some video performance can be improved by adding an Nvidia Grid K1/K2 hardware cards for your installation.

Sincerely,

Yury Magalif

0 Kudos