VMware Horizon Community
olivermclean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to increase video performance

I have a Horizon View 6 environment which is used by 100 users. The clients run at a 1280 x 1024 resolution and have 2 vCPU's and 3 Gb of RAM.

It all works fine, except the videoperformance is poor. Watching a full screen video on Youtube doesn't run smooth at all. And also minimizing and maximizing a window or dragging it doesn't run smooth.

I've tried a few settings like turning on 3d rendering and adjusting the max. video memory, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Is there any way to improve the video performance?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
olivermclean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've disabled the 3D setting, but I also found out that the View agent wasn't installed in the base image....

After a recompose with the View agent, the video performed reasonable!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RandyDGroves
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Assuming you do not have a GPU in the system, enabling 3D may actually make performance worse, so keep it disabled. Also, be sure the "hardware acceleration" is disabled in whatever browser you are using to access YouTube since there is no GPU to do the acceleration. Also be sure that you have set the power management on your server to "high performance" as described in this KB (Poor virtual machine application performance may be caused by processor power management settings (1...).

If you are still having performance issues, you should try a Teradici PCoIP Hardware Accelerator card (Teradici PCoIP Hardware Accelerator (APEX 2800) | Teradici PCoIP Solutions). The performance of your client devices could also be an issue if their CPU is pegged while decoding the video. In that case, you either need to get clients with faster and/or more CPU cores or use PCoIP Zero clients for the ultimate in performance and security (http://www.teradici.com/products-and-solutions/pcoip-products/zero-clients )

0 Kudos
olivermclean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've disabled the 3D setting, but I also found out that the View agent wasn't installed in the base image....

After a recompose with the View agent, the video performed reasonable!

0 Kudos
ymagalif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oliver,

Besides Randy's suggestions and your response, some video performance can be improved by adding an Nvidia Grid K1/K2 hardware cards for your installation.

Sincerely,

Yury Magalif

0 Kudos
immawilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Absolutely, thank you for your valuable input! Your detailed guidance on optimizing video performance within the Horizon View 6 environment is truly appreciated. I will certainly implement these suggestions to enhance the user experience and ensure smooth video playback. Thanks again for your expertise! 

0 Kudos
immawilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey there! It sounds like you're dealing with some video performance issues in your Horizon View 6 environment. When optimizing video performance, there are a few things you can check and tweak. Firstly, make sure that the VMware Tools are up to date on your virtual machines as they can greatly impact graphics performance. Additionally, consider adjusting the display settings within the virtual machines, such as experimenting with different resolutions and color depths to find the right balance. You've already tried enabling 3D rendering and adjusting video memory, but also check if your graphics card drivers on both the host and client machines are updated.

Sometimes, a simple driver update can make a significant difference. Lastly, ensure that network bandwidth is not a bottleneck, as it can affect viewing and video performance. Give these suggestions a shot, and hopefully, you'll see an improvement in the video experience for your users!

If the issues persist, you might want to explore other alternatives like GPU acceleration if your hardware supports it, or consider upgrading the hardware specifications for your virtual machines, such as increasing vCPU and RAM allocations. It's a bit of trial and error, but with some patience and testing, you should be able to enhance the video performance in your environment.

Download CapCut Pro APK

0 Kudos
arnulfoneagle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Absolutely, optimizing video performance in a virtual environment like Horizon View 6 can be a bit tricky, but there are several avenues to explore. First, ensure that the Horizon View agents and clients are updated to the latest versions to benefit from performance improvements. Consider allocating more resources to the virtual desktops – increasing vCPUs and RAM might help, especially for video rendering tasks. Experiment with different display protocols, as some may handle video playback more efficiently than others. Download CapCut for iOS

Additionally, check the network bandwidth and latency to ensure a smooth streaming experience. If issues persist, consider GPU acceleration if your hardware supports it, as this can significantly enhance video performance. Lastly, consult VMware support or community forums for specific advice tailored to your setup.

0 Kudos