VMware Horizon Community
achacon61
Contributor
Contributor

How to change the speaker output from a VDI without having to reconnect?

I have 2 output devices (my speakers and the usb headset) in my laptop. In the settings audio configuration for select preferred speaker I see them all.

I commonly take Teams calls inside the VDI and outside as well, and sometimes I switch from my speakers to my headset, depending if I'm sitting at the desk or if I have to get up and tend to another task momentarily. If I want to switch from lets say, speakers to headset, changing the setting only allows me to do it having to reconnect to the VDI, which is impractical on lets say I'm away from the desktop, hear the call coming in from the speakers, go to the desk to sit down and want to use the headset, if I have to close the connection and connect again I will most likely miss the call as connecting can sometimes take a few minutes depending on the current provision load of VDI's, isn't there a way to achieve this without having to reconnect?

Thanks

Alex Chacon

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KenSong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can select All as preferred speaker

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you make it all, doesn't the sound come out thru all devices?

0 Kudos
kli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you using Microsoft Teams Optimization? If so, you can select/change your desired device in the Microsoft Teams settings dialog. Click on the '...' in the upper right next to your avatar, and select settings/devices.

https://techzone.vmware.com/resource/microsoft-teams-optimization-vmware-horizon

0 Kudos
KenSong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, selecting all enables multiple audio out, then you can decide which device is used for which app, e.g  Speaker 1 for Teams, Speaker 2 for Youtube, one app can only use one speaker.

0 Kudos