VMware Horizon Community
ducdaibac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to change Vcenter address in Horizon vdi 6.

How to change Vcenter address in Horizon vdi 6.

1, I upgraded my vCenter from VC 6.0 to VCSA 6.5

2, IP address from 6.0 has changed to DNS hostname.

Help me please . Vcenter is running

pastedImage_0.png
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the certificate & VC Username has changed, then previously mentioned steps will alone not help you to edit the vcenter address.  Please take a backup of ADAM DB before you perform this.

Make a note of below values after you have connected to OU=Properties,OU=VirtualCenter

In the View Administrator portal, refresh the dashboard to confirm the name change you made.

In View Configuration > Servers > vCenter Server, add an entry for the proper vCenter Server and Composer Server and accept the certificates when prompted.

1. Open the properties page for each vCenter Server entry.
  2. Manually copy below values from the new vCenter Server entry to the old vCenter Server entry:
    • par-VCURL
    • pae-VCSslCertThumbprint
    • pae-VCSslCertThumbprintAlgorithm
    • pae-VCUserName
    • pae-VCUserPassword

Remove the new vCenter Server entry from the View Administrator webpage.

Undo the changes you made at the beginning of the process, including adding the UNIQUEID=XX value back into pae-NameValuePair and rename pae-VCURL.

Reboot all Connection Servers.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
ducdaibac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Some body hellp me pls

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm confused by your post - is something not working as a result of the upgrade?

When you say "upgrade", did you do an in-place upgrade, or deploy a completely new VC? If you deployed a new VC, you can't just edit the existing entry on your Connection Server (not supported). In that instance, you have to remove all the old pools first, and then add the new VC in the View GUI as a completely new object, and then redeploy.

For an in-place upgrade, you shouldn't need to do anything at all.

0 Kudos
ducdaibac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I upgraded vcenter from 6.0 to 6.5, I had to use DNS instead of IP address.

0 Kudos
ducdaibac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I upgraded vcenter from 6.0 to 6.5, I had to use DNS instead of IP address.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There is not a easy way to update it (There are many places that require an update). Can you stick with the IP address or is something not working? If not you have two options.

1. Open an SR with VMWare. See if they have a process for this.
  2. Clean-up the current IP address vCenter, delete it and add a new one using the FQDN.
    1. Delete all linked/instant clone pools.
    2. Delete the vCenter
    3. Register the vCenter using the FQDN.
    4. Recreate and pools.
mchadwick19
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Best answer right here is @BenFB's #1 - Call support. They may have a process, but if they don't, they certainly can help you clean up. What they will probably ask is if you have backups or snapshots of your infrastructure systems. If not too much time has past, it might be fastest to restore/revert and do everything over again. Taking out the vCenter information prior to upgrading it. If you revert, leave everything powered off until the restores are complete and follow VMware's power-on sequence. vCenter, Composer, Connection servers (1 at a time), finally Security Servers (UAGs).

I do have a feeling that support can help you remove it and it's going to be through the ADAM database, and then you can add your new one back in. But you will most likely need to recreate all your linked/instant clone pools since the backing VM's information is most likely going to have changed. View probably can't clean you're old VM's up because they were tied to your original vCenter. You will probably need to use the viewdbchk and IcUnprotect commands from a connection server to remove any residual VM's (if they are linked/instant clones).

VDI Engineer VCP-DCV, VCP7-DTM, VCAP7-DTM Design
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please help me answer few questions, i can guide you in replacing the IP with URL:

• Is View Composer co-installed or a standalone install ?
  • Has the VCenter certificate changed ?
  • Has the VCUsername & VCPassword changed ?

Connect to ADAM DB from one of the connection servers,

DC=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int

Then browse to OU=Properties --> OU=VirtualCenter

Go to the properties of VCenter entry & look for attribute pae-VCURL it should be https://10.3.6.51:443/sdk

Take a backup of your ADAM DB & replace this value with the actual URL.

In the View Administrator portal, refresh the dashboard to confirm the URL change you made.

then verify the vcenter connectivity by performing any VC operations.

0 Kudos
ducdaibac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

- View Composer is installed independently

- The VCenter certificate has changed

- VCUsername & VCPassword has changed

Thanks Kishoreg5674, I will try again later tonight. When there are no connected clients. I will then report the results back to you.

0 Kudos
ducdaibac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My system has about 200 clients, Can clearing all pools affect the clients that are using it? I can do this at night. when the client is not connected.

Thanks for the answer I will study it.

0 Kudos
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the certificate & VC Username has changed, then previously mentioned steps will alone not help you to edit the vcenter address.  Please take a backup of ADAM DB before you perform this.

Make a note of below values after you have connected to OU=Properties,OU=VirtualCenter

In the View Administrator portal, refresh the dashboard to confirm the name change you made.

In View Configuration > Servers > vCenter Server, add an entry for the proper vCenter Server and Composer Server and accept the certificates when prompted.

1. Open the properties page for each vCenter Server entry.
  2. Manually copy below values from the new vCenter Server entry to the old vCenter Server entry:
    • par-VCURL
    • pae-VCUserName
    • pae-VCUserPassword

Remove the new vCenter Server entry from the View Administrator webpage.

Undo the changes you made at the beginning of the process, including adding the UNIQUEID=XX value back into pae-NameValuePair and rename pae-VCURL.

Reboot all Connection Servers.

ducdaibac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank Kishoreg5674 ,

0 Kudos
johnb7654321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello! This is very helpful. Thank you so much. I do have a follow-on question. Do you know why these values would clear every time I save them? I add the cert thumb print and the thumbprint algorithm (DER_BASE64_PEM) and it stays for about a minute, but then when I got back into ADSI, the values are empty. Desperately need help. Thank you again!!

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello

1. Please go to https://<vcfdqn>/certs/download.zip URL [ Ensure to replace vcfqdn word on URL with your vCenter Fully Qualified domain name ]
  2. Then it will show up some garbled charecters and don't worry about. You may just right click and do "Save As" and save the zip file. 
  3. Extract the zip file and you would find the CRL and CRT files.
  4. Import them on to all your Horizon Connection Servers at Trusted Root and at intermediate
  5. Reboot the Horizon Connection Server. 
  6. Then Open Horizon admin UI --> Settings --> Server -- > Edit on vCenter and under user if username defined as "username@domain.com" replace it with "domain\username" or viceversa. Type the password and click save. At this stage it gives you a prompt to accept the thumbprint. Please accept it and post that pae-VCSslCertThumbprint and pae-VCSslCertThumbprintAlgorithm will be persistent
  7. If step 6 fails, then set the registry key "CertificateRevocationCheckType" value to 1 to disable CRL check [ Reference : https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.13/horizon-installation/GUID-D1190AE8-1677-4637-9345-B... ]
0 Kudos