VMware Horizon Community
Vdar
Contributor
Contributor

How to calculate the cost for 400 lisenses? 400 x $250?

Hello,

I am using the Tco calculator to calculate the cost of deploying 400 thin clients based on Vmware view 3.

In the TCO spreadsheet, I have 400 clients at a price of $250 based on what is on the vmware site. http://www.vmware.com/products/view/howtobuy.html

Does this mean that the $250 includes the server licenses as well?

I need to justify this solution ONLY based on comparing the cost of thick client vs thin clients. The client is not interested in seeing the cost savings of power and cooling nor the operational savings. Since they are not paying for the power and cooling ( its part of thier lease aggreement, and they have the lease aggreement for 5 years which includes the power and cooling). As far as support they have only 2 people supporting the entire 400 users. So they are not really looking to reduce staff.

So my task is to justify the cost of them going with the vmware thin client based on the comparing this cost with the total refresh of the existing desktops with new desktops. So basically hardware thick client vs thin client.

Am I right to simplay look at the cost as following:

Thin client option

• Hardware for servers (about 12 servers) (including drive, memory and ..)

• VDI software for 400 clients = 400 x $250

• Hardware for connection brockers in this case 2 servers

• New cisco switches and additional hardware

Roughly about $400,000

Full desktop refresh:

400 desktops x $800 (price per desktop) = $320,000

Is this a fare comparison?

The above scenario is justifiable since the diff is not much cosidering the benefits of Virtual env.

Am I right to base my business case on the above?

Is there anything else I need to take in to account?

The client understands that there are going to be additional costs in terms of support, installation, deployment and ... but they cosider these operational cost and dont want them included.

Thank you for your speedy reponse.

Vdar

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

I guess this should be the best option...call up Vmware and they will be the best....

Toll Free: 1-877-486-9273

www.vmware.com/support

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
Vdar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Anil,

Are they open 24 hrs?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

I believe the sales folks should be open during business hours only.....

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

12 servers to drive 400 users? What spec are they? Are the users workloads particularly demanding?

Using industry standard 8 core servers, 12 servers should be able to drive up to about 800 typical VDI sessions.

Chris

Vdar
Contributor
Contributor

Hello experts;

I have a challenge to overcome and that is to build a business case that shows the hardware required for vmware thin client is lower than going with the traditional desktops.

We have 335 desktops to replace.

Cost of desktop are $800 per unit. Which result in $268,000.

We have only 2 support personal which basically there is no justification for reduction in support.

Power and cooling is part of our lease agreement and hence any savings there is not something that we can bank on.

It leaves me with justification on the hardware only. I have been told that the only way the will consider this option is that the cost of vdi hardware only should be much less than the traditional desktop. Here is what I have for the configuration of the hardware.

Can you please verify if I am on the right track, have I missed something or have I added too many things?

Vmware VDI Hardware for 335 thin clients (needconfirmation)

Units

HP Active Cool Fan Option Kit

HP c7000 Enclosure Power Supply Option Kit (supplied with IEC

C20 - C19 jumper cord)

ESX Servers-BL465cG5 ONE G5 2356 2.3Ghz 2GB(2 * 1GB) QC

HP c7000 Single-Phase Enclosure with 2 Power Supplies and 4 Fans

with 16 Insight Control Licenses

HP 72GB SAS 10K SFF HDD

Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3020 for HP c-Class BladeSystem

Cisco MDS 9124e 24 Port Fabric Switch - 4SFP

8 GB FBD PC2-5300 2 x 4 GB LP Kit

NC326m Dual Port Gigabit NICs

HP ProLiant BL465cG5 2356

QLogic QMH2462 4Gb FC HBA for HP c-Class BladeSystem

HP Universal Rack 10642 G2 Pallet Rack

HP BLc7000 Redundant Onboard Administrator

VC servers

VDI software

Windows operating systems for VC server

Windows XP Pro licenses

Thin clients

Keyboard, mouse, monitor sets

FC SAN switch ports

FC SAN storage capacity cost

Connection broker server hardware

The above config is in the range of over $300,000 which is substantially higher than just going and buying traditonal desktops.

If I want to only deploy about 100 workstation per year over the next 3 years do I have to buy all the hardware at once in the first year?

What is that I absolutly need for to get started in the first year supporting 100?

Thank you all in advance.

0 Kudos