VMware Horizon Community
AtlanticCoast
Contributor
Contributor

How to add an additional reboot after joining to domain

A simple question on preparation of linked clones with quickprep.

When a clone reboots the last time and is joined to an AD domain, GPO policy will apply to this clone at the first time.

However, as GPO apply when most of services have already started, some GPO settings will require an additional reboot to become effective.

Is it possible to add an additionnal reboot in the preparation sequence after the computer is joined to the domain and received its GPO?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have the same issue, and I'd love to have a method to reboot the clone after it joins the domain. So far I've been doing it manually whenever I can, but that just isn't practical.

0 Kudos
Soe_Htoon_Oo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Is it ok to set on schedule restart in vCenter?

1.Login vCenter Server using the vSphere Web client.

2. Locate the VM and click on it.

3.Click on the Monitor tab and select the Tasks & Events sub-tab as you do. Click on Scheduled Tasks and select a task from the Schedule a New Task drop-down menu you can choose.

0 Kudos
AtlanticCoast
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion. I am looking for a solution for hundreds cloned VMs.

Not sure if the scheduled action can be applied in this case.

Actually the product is on market for years, this is a common issue and there should be some standard solution.

Can an additional reboot be added via a script in the image?

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can have the reboot injected using post-synchronization scripts adn initiate a reboot using vbs command file. However, this reboot will happen after entire customization (not just after the domain join) and the agent status became "ready"

If that helps ,refer Running QuickPrep Customization Scripts

0 Kudos