VMware Horizon Community
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to activate Office 2010 on linked clones?

Hello,

I have created a Windows 7 parent VM and installed Office 2010 and activated it with a volume license key.

After creating my linked clones via composer automated pool and logging in, I am prompted for Office activation when running an office program.

I've tried configuring a scheduled task at start up to run a cscript command to activate it.

The command runs successfully when I run it from a command prompt, but does not seem to run right from the task scheduler.

It says the task ran successful, but still prompts me for activation.

http://derek858.blogspot.com/2011/03/immediately-activate-windows-7-and.html

Just checking to see if anyone may have a suggestion?

I prefer a local install on every VM.  I've attached my scheduled task settings.

Thanks,

romatlo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nzorn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you create an .MSP for your Office 2010 installation using the Microsoft Office Customization Tool (setup.exe /admin)?

Inside of the customization tool you can specify your MAK product key and under the "Add installations and run programs" section you can add the script to activate it during install (attaching screenshot).

Once you build and save your .MSP file just place it under the \Updates folder and it will automatically reference the .MSP when you run setup.exe.

That's the way I do it on the template, and then the users won't get prompted to activate it.

More info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179132(office.14)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you create an .MSP for your Office 2010 installation using the Microsoft Office Customization Tool (setup.exe /admin)?

Inside of the customization tool you can specify your MAK product key and under the "Add installations and run programs" section you can add the script to activate it during install (attaching screenshot).

Once you build and save your .MSP file just place it under the \Updates folder and it will automatically reference the .MSP when you run setup.exe.

That's the way I do it on the template, and then the users won't get prompted to activate it.

More info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179132(office.14)

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response!  I wonder if this would work using my KMS volume license key.

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No problem, there is a checkbox for KMS inside of the customization tool as well.

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awesome.  I am downloading the customization tool now and will reset my parent VM and install it again.

Thanks again.  I will mark this answer correct and close shortly.

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can see this activating office 2010 during the install on my parent VM and being activated when finished (not having to type in my key and activate after install).  I just hope it translates to the linked clones.  Testing...

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I went all the way through it on a new parent VM...created a .msp (included license key and command line from your picture).

Everything installs, activates, no problem on the parent VM.

However, when I create my linked clone pool from it, it still prompts me for activation.

Argh!!

Thanks for your suggestions, though.

Just to confirm, did you say that your linked clone VMs do not prompt for Office 2010 activation?

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just got my first positive result after configuring Run Once registry to call cscript command from batch file.

I am restarting my test from scratch to be sure.

Even though my roaming profiles and folder redirection seems to be working well, I notice that if/when I receive a different linked clone (since this is a floating pool) my inbox from the exchange server downloads again which could take several minutes.  I am assuming that is because a local app data requirement to populate .ost file or something.  I would wonder if there is a way redirect the .ost so that it syncs up elsewhere....or maybe create dedicated pool with persistent disks.

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Correct, my linked cloned VMs do not prompt for Office 2010 Activation, but I am also using MAK instead of a KMS key.

0 Kudos