VMware Horizon Community
Larry_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to access our VDI from the web.

We are a registered charity based in the UK.

We have employees based around the UK, some in offices under our control, some working from home and some using ‘other organisations' equipment where we have NO control of their network or infrastructure. The problem we have is the ‘latter' where the only access that ‘our' users have from ‘their' network is port 80, internet traffic and we can't install ANYTHING on their machines.

I need those employees to be able to access our network, and to do this, I'd like them to be able to use a web based access to log onto a virtual copy of Windows XP we have installed on our newly created VMWare installation.

What ‘system' or ‘connection broker' should I look to implement in order to achieve this please?

Baring in mind, the only way ‘out' of the ‘other' organisations network is standard internet browsing, and I will not be able to install anything on their PC's.

This needs to be a cost effective solution (we are a charity). A concurrent license setup should be fine because I can see us not needing more that say ‘ten' at this point in time.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Larry.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thinkthin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Larry,

One suggestion is to use the VDI bundle with non-persistent desktops. This should keep the desktop pool small and meet the license requirement. For the client side you can use VMware "ThinApp" to package the VDM 2.1 client. this way there is nothing to install on the client PC's. You will lose USB pass-through support with a thin-app client however maybe this is acceptable?

Cheers,

-TT

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
thinkthin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Larry,

One suggestion is to use the VDI bundle with non-persistent desktops. This should keep the desktop pool small and meet the license requirement. For the client side you can use VMware "ThinApp" to package the VDM 2.1 client. this way there is nothing to install on the client PC's. You will lose USB pass-through support with a thin-app client however maybe this is acceptable?

Cheers,

-TT

0 Kudos
Larry_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi TT

I contacted VMware in the end because I wasn't getting any replies....

They suggested the same as what you have. I have awarded your answer as the 'correct' one..

Thank you.

0 Kudos