VMware Horizon Community
sadeghalmahdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to Turn a Old PC into a Thin Client for Free

Hi Guys

in my Corporation, have many old PC with 512MB and 1GB and used Windows XP.

a number of PC Attached a Printer.

now i want run horizon 6 and for a Due to low speed and implement programs i decide changed OS for run better Programs and horizon Client Programs.

what is Your idea ???how can i convert PC to thin client?

It is also important to note that the number of printers are connected directly to a PC.

Thank YouSmiley Sad

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vTimD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Leave the PC's as XP with printers installed, install the Horizon View client, replace the default explorer.exe shell with the horizon view executable. This way they can't do anything but login and launch Horizon View, with minimal effort. ThinPrint should allow for the printer mapping through to the VDI.

This kind of thing can be done with GPO, and then be applied to the client PC OU.

-vTimD http://www.vtimd.com If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
sadeghalmahdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank You for your answer but how do this and change Shell via GPO.Guide me:smileyplain:

0 Kudos
dwigz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check this set of scripts out.  It will turn a Win workstation into a View client terminal.  You may have to make a couple tweaks based on the client version.

0 Kudos
clsalgueiro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! this steps could be performed on a Windows 7 pc instead XP?

0 Kudos
liorshe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi  sadeghalmahdi,

I have a guide I've written myself that explains how to install Linux with VMware Horizon Client on older computers and turn them to thin clients.
From my experience it works on computers that have at least a dual core processor.

The guide is attached.

You can also use this site -

Https://nchrissos.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/the-odyssey-of-building-a-lightweight-vmware-view-linux-w...

Good luck

0 Kudos