VMware Horizon Community
mvftw
Contributor
Contributor

How to Manage 'Named User'

I inherited a 400 'Named User' Horizon View. What happens after 400 Users logon on?

Is there a way to delete users that are no longer using View? Do I just reset the count number?

I had a 150 Concurrent view license, which means that any 150 users can be on at once.

But 'Named User' is different.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wuhlig
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Named Users are pretty simple in that it's based off unique names in AD.  After that it because a how many VMS can you run in your Horizon cluster.  So if they need 4 VMs to do their job they can have 4 VDI desktops, but it only counts as 1 Named user.

That said, if you do go over 401 unique named users then you would be out of compliance, but horizon won't block the 401 user unless there isn't a desktop available.  So normally it's suggested to make a group with no more than 400 users in it and then entitle that group to the desktop pool or pools.

More around this on page 15: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/horizon/vmware-horizon-pr...

mvftw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. So say someone leaves, how can i remove that user name?

The PDF says:

Reassigning Named User Licenses

In Named User licensing, the license is consumed for 60 days after the last connection was made.

However, as an exception, if the employee consuming the Named User license has their employment

terminated with the company, the license would be available for reassignment immediately following the

termination. How does it become available...from Active Directory?

0 Kudos
wuhlig
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's a Virtual trust.  There is nothing really tieing it in AD, but if you keep that group no larger then say the 400 you mentioned above then you'll always be in compliance.

0 Kudos
mvftw
Contributor
Contributor

I did see that there is a 'Reset Named User Count'.

If I reset it to 0, does it go to 400 again?

I don't want to break it...

0 Kudos