VMware Horizon Community
v_balan77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to Install custom keyboard driver in Windows 10 32 bit view desktop

Request from customer to use special keyboard in view desktop.

Windows client : physical fat PC Windows 10 64bit

target system : Windows 10 32 bit View desktop

Keyboard : Special keyboard from Thomson Reuters.

Hardware detected in PC : HID Keyboard

Environment : Horizon View 7.5

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
v_balan77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All

Issue resolved after enable "Allow Keyboard and Mouse devices" settings in  client group policy.

import  "vdm_client.admx" template to have the settings in GPO.

pastedImage_1.png

- Balan V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Whats the need for this, the horizon client captures keystrokes and forwards them to the desktop, the keyboard "driver"  should be installed on the client. Is there a special feature on the keyboard. If its usb they will have to make sure the attach passthrough the usb connection to the desktop. If a pc only sees an HID keyboard its not using a custom driver, its using a windows default driver.

0 Kudos
v_balan77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes it has some special function keys which is not working correctly inside View desktop with default driver.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Assuming the Thomson Reuters keyboard is a USB keyboard, it can be connected as a USB device (just like USB thumb drives) and you install the necessary drivers.

Two keyboards are likely needed; first is a regular one, and the other Thomson Reuters keyboard for the VM; because once the Thomson Reuters keyboard is connected to the VM, the PC where you run Horizon Client loses its keyboard.

VMX configuration file changes will also be necessary for the Thomson Reuters USB (or any other keyboard for that matter) to appear in the USB connect list.

Look at this KB  https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1033435

0 Kudos
v_balan77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I could not able to complete the testing due to application user unavailability and will be done on Monday.

here is my observation so for:

I did follow the KB and make changes in Master Image .vmx file. After change new components called  "Human interface Devices" available in View desktop's device manage.

Performed recompose operation to update all desktop in pool.

For the testing, first i connected two keyboards in Client PC, one is normal and other one is Thomson Reuter's keyboard. special Keyboard has 3 USB connectors  and when i plug in it detect and appear "HID Keyboard device " under Keyboard and 3 HID-compatible mouse under "Mice and other pointing devices"  automatically and both Keyboards are working fine ( Unable to test function Keys which is my initial requirement).

Now i connect View Desktop using Horizon view client. In view desktop, view agent installed with USB redirection feature.

After successful login to view desktop there is no new devices detected even i enable "Connect USB Device" and "Automatically Connect when inserted" options in Horizon view client.

In View desktop i could only see default components "Standard PS/2 keyboard", "VMware Pointing Device" and VMware USB Pointing Device.

Do you know is standard behavior or View desktop should detect additional devices as same as client PC?

Keep you posted test result on Monday.

Regards,

Balan V

0 Kudos
v_balan77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All

Issue resolved after enable "Allow Keyboard and Mouse devices" settings in  client group policy.

import  "vdm_client.admx" template to have the settings in GPO.

pastedImage_1.png

- Balan V

0 Kudos