VMware Horizon Community
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How many replicas should be present?

Hi,

I'm trying to calculate how many replicas I should have in my given scenario.

We have way more than we should, and I'll need to clean it up (VMware KB: Finding and removing unused replica virtual machines in the VMware Horizon View), but before I do I wanted to figure out how many we should have.

I have 4 pools and have 4 datastores.

All 4 pools are spread across all 4 datastores.

2 pools use a snapshot called "snapshot A".

2 pools use a snapshot called "snapshot B".

o: should we have:

• 8 replicas in total (2 replicas per datastore - one for A and one for B on each datastore) or
  • 16 replicas in total (1 replica per pool per datastore)?

I was thinking that it was the latter (16) because the hardware settings (i.e. 3D Graphics Settings) could be different for each pool (although in our scenario they should be identical) and would apply to the replica, but wasn't sure.

View 6.1, linked clone automated pools.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using a dedicated replica datastore in the pool settings.  If so you would have, I believe, 2 replicas with one for each unique snapshot.   If not, I think you would have 8 which would be 1 for each unique snapshot on each datastore. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using a dedicated replica datastore in the pool settings.  If so you would have, I believe, 2 replicas with one for each unique snapshot.   If not, I think you would have 8 which would be 1 for each unique snapshot on each datastore. 

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

No dedicated -  the 4 datastores hold the replicas and the linked-clones (we use local flash storage on each host, so 4 hosts  = 4 datastores - although that will be changing when we add new infrastructure). That would indicate 8 replicas from your answer.

In this case, I assume that if each pool had different graphic memory settings, this is applied to the link-clone directly rather than the replica.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Correct.     If that were not the case you would have to create a new replica every time you made a graphics change to the pool.  

0 Kudos