VMware Horizon Community
SWarren63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I find the physical host name of the client used to log into a View linked clone

Our environment consists of Windows XP Professional workstations running the View 4.0 client. They are logging into a View 4.0 connection manager server that has a non-persistant linked clone pool, also XP Professional workstations. We have two connection manager servers, one allows direct connect.

Is there a way to find out the name of the physical device they are logging in with? I believe when we use the Wyse terminals, the device name is passed through to the SESSIONNAME environment variable. However when we use the View client, that value is set to "console" or "RDP-Tcp#1"

I have tried to test this with PCoIP and RDP, direct connection and pass through.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What you should find is that the View agent creates a number of user environment variables which give client details such as the IP address, name and MAC address. What we have observed though is that these variables are not necessarily available during logon, although they are in "HKCU\Volatile Environment" if you want to take action based on some client device attribute for things like printer mapping.

Example variables are:

ViewClient_Broker_Remote_IP_Address=192.168.0.231
ViewClient_Machine_Domain=appsense
ViewClient_Machine_Name=APWAARC04
ViewClient_MAC_Address=54-B3-80-DA-63-08
ViewClient_Type=Windows

--

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What you should find is that the View agent creates a number of user environment variables which give client details such as the IP address, name and MAC address. What we have observed though is that these variables are not necessarily available during logon, although they are in "HKCU\Volatile Environment" if you want to take action based on some client device attribute for things like printer mapping.

Example variables are:

ViewClient_Broker_Remote_IP_Address=192.168.0.231
ViewClient_Machine_Domain=appsense
ViewClient_Machine_Name=APWAARC04
ViewClient_MAC_Address=54-B3-80-DA-63-08
ViewClient_Type=Windows

--

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
SWarren63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed. Printing is one of the reasons and a few others. This will help me out greatly. Thank you again!

0 Kudos