VMware Horizon Community
Ascii7x
Contributor
Contributor

How do I configure dns, fw, and security server for external tablet usage?

Good morning all.

I have installed and configure the security server for vmware view.

I am able to use network devices to access the view desktops, I would like to set up for external tablets to connect through security server to access the view desktops.

How do i go about this.

I followed these instructions by one vmware tech, he can't fully assist because I am running on demo mode.

I do not want to pay for the complete package until I know it works best for our company.

After I have it running our company owners will play with the tablets and WYSE terminals before approval to purchase vware view and thinapp.

Below is what I did per vmware technician's brief instructions:

"in order to setup the front-end firewall correctly to allow traffic from the WAN to the Security Server. You will also need a NAT rule to map an external IP address to the Security Server's internal IP. Lastly, you will need a DNS address (for example view.domain.com) that resolves to that IP address. At this point, you can set the External URLs in the Security Server to the DNS name or external IP address (HTTPS and Blast will be DNS, PCoIP will be IP). External connections should work at this point."

I went to my server and created a nat policy with external private ip : xxx.xxx.xxx.123(one of our unused external private ips) to point to our internal security server ip address of : xxx.xxx.xxx.99(an example, not the real one).

Attached is a pic of the settings. I used terminal services as the original source, I am not sure if that is correct.

On my DNS server I created a new host called view.mywebsitedomainname.com ( i hope that was correct).

I used the a record and pointer to  our security server ip address.

When I checked with my iPad to use a browser to access : view.mywebsitedomainname.com

it states server can not be found.  If i use the client it asks for the connection server ip address and that does not connect either.

What steps or settings am I top use to get this running.

All i have is 30 days left on my usage of this trial version and about 10 days left on 3 of the windows servers i did not register because I did not purchase them yet.  Do not want to buy anything until management approves that they like the vmware view environment.

Any help to guide me in final configuration will be great.

I am new to vmware and not an expert in IT, i am a self-learn.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ascii7x
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I finally got the View to load from my iPad.  I forgot to create a firewall rule to use the NAT policy.

But now, the problem that I am encountering is that I get an error message on the iPad stating:

First I click on the view agent icon on the ipad

Then I get a untrusted view connection(that's because I did not create the certificates since I am running a trial versin

I click on "Continue"

I enter my password

I get the VMware Horizon View Client "Loading Desktop"

It takes about 2 minutes...before i get the error message:

"

The Session was disconnected

Lost connection to server.

Click on 'Done'.

"

Then another message:

"

Desktop loading warning

Your desktop is loading too slowly. You may need to turn on your VPN to connect.

Click on 'OK'.

"

What gives? That has to be incorrect because I can run the desktop from within and out of the network on another laptop.

Is there a problem the iPad clinet view version?

Is there a way to get around this/to fix it.

Please advise.

0 Kudos