VMware Horizon Community
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How are you updating Microsoft Store apps?

So this latest critical out of band patch for codecs is being delivered only through Microsoft Store, I’m at a loss as to how to update. My linked clones have the Photos and Videos app, but they can’t update themselves. On my gold image, I can’t really update Store apps as administrator or it breaks sysprep, and it doesn’t even apply to other user profiles.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You have to do it on the parent image, so you need to figure out why its breaking sysprep(wouldn't use sysprep with non persistent linked clones). Its most likely due to a store app being in a profile where it should be and you need to review the panther log I think.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I usually have issues updating or installing new Store apps on the gold images. It either installs itself as the administrator only and the users have to manually install from the store, or it breaks sysprep because it gets installed as the administrator user profile.

Also why do you say that I shouldn't use sysprep for linked clones? How should I be deploying them?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have a reason for sysprep, I mean when the clones are created

VMware Knowledge Base

if your using sysprep and something like appvolumes you may run into issues where quick prep won't.

MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To be honest I've been using sysprep since Horizon 7.0. Originally there was some limitation of Quickprep so that I couldn't use it, but now I completely forget the reason.

Is it possible to change the pool from sysprep to quickprep? I see that the option is grayed-out on my existing pools.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Its one of the things you can't change. The only real thing that quickprep are things that rely on the computer sid, which should be a very short list these days, since without sysprep all of the clones would have the same computer sid, but different domain sids. SCCM is one, and Cylance does also use the computer sid for some dumb reason, but it doesn't break anything and they are working on it from what I understand.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We use Palo Alto Traps Cortex, I'm not sure what they are using.

And if I wanted to switch to quickprep, can I create a new pool and move all the linked-clones along with their persistent disks over to the new pool?

0 Kudos