VMware Horizon Community
ShawnChandler
Contributor
Contributor

How are you automatically locking a View Workstation after X min?

My environment:  View 4.6, Windows 7 OS, WYSE P20 clients...

We want all computers to automatically lock after a certain timeperiod of inactivity.  I know that screensavers are frowned upon and have not been able to come up with a different solution.

Any thoughts on this or has anyone else accomplished this?

Thanks.

- Shawn

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

A couple ideas:  Could you set the pool setting to suspend them after a certain amount of inactivity.  Or, have you thought about the AD settings for those workstations and setting a group policy to try to accomplish something like that?

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
ShawnChandler
Contributor
Contributor

I dont believe I can do that via the Pools.  I can log off based on disconnect, but unless there are some underlying options, I dont think I can do that.

As far as GPO's go, I could push screen saver settings to lock the workstation but since I am not using screensavers, that wont work.  I havent found anything else in GP that will do what I need.  Not that it's not there, just havent found it myself.  Did you have thoughts on what might work in GP?

Thanks again for your response

0 Kudos
keiooz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I usually use different types of program to work on auto shutdowns or whatever you might call it as I don't have any idea how to do it with VMware..

0 Kudos
ShawnChandler
Contributor
Contributor

I am not opposed to using a seperate program to lock their computers but it has to happen automatically when there is inactivity.  

0 Kudos
robgj821
Contributor
Contributor

Is you use the optimisation scripts for Windows 7 that vmware provides it actually does this for you.

It adds the following lines to you registry so that after 600 sces of inactivity the screen timesout and locks the pc

reg ADD "hku\temp\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop" /v SCRNSAVE.EXE /d "%windir%\system32\scrnsave.scr" /f
reg ADD "hku\temp\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ScreenSaveTimeOut /d "600" /f
reg ADD "hku\temp\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop" /v ScreenSaverIsSecure /d "1" /f
0 Kudos
ShawnChandler
Contributor
Contributor

From my understanding, screen savers are frowned apon in View.  And the scripts you mention have to do with running a screensaver.  Do you currently run screen savers and how do they impact the workstations running on the ESX server?

0 Kudos
robgj821
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't actually set a screen saver as its set to blank its more to enforce the screen timeout and lock on resume.

0 Kudos
ShawnChandler
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  I will try to get one of my test machines set up with these entries and if it works, I will let you know.

0 Kudos