VMware Horizon Community
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host scanner to virtual machine

Hello,

I'm new to VMware and I'm trying to get the printer to scan to a virtual machine over wifi but can't seem to figure this out.

I documents refer to enable re-direct scanner but doesn't really give you to much information.

10 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi BiosMaster0x000

Are you trying to pass-through printer from host to VM? If so, you can try below:

1. Select the virtual machine and select VM > Settings.

2. On the Hardware tab, select Add.

3. In the Add Hardware wizard, select Printer and Finish.The default device setting is to connect the virtual machine printer when the virtual machine is powered on

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello!

thank you for the fast reply. are we talking about VM settings in the vsphere?

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi BiosMaster0x000

Yes. In vSphere.

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are no options for the printer.

no option.PNG

0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

If your scanner is a USB device, all we need to do is:

* Right click on VM.

* Click on Edit Settings.

* Add a USB Controller.

* Now, you can connect your scanner to your laptop from where you are accessing the vSphere.

* Then open VMRC console and Click on VMRC dropdown and click on Removable Device --> USB --> Click on listed scanner device.

* Let windows install the drivers within VM. Then install your scanner driver on the VM.

Some device may not work, you may try this method with your scanner device.

If you are using this VM for horizon purpose no need to perform all these. Just enabling scanner redrection feature on Horizon agent will do this job.

BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

The scanners are on the another side of the office and it's using wifi. When connected VIA ETHERNET it works, but not over wifi.

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are running horizon - so how do I manage to do this through horizon agent? 

If you are using this VM for horizon purpose no need to perform all these. Just enabling scanner redrection feature on Horizon agent will do this job.

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You are correct. You just need to install the View Agent component and be sure to select the scanner redirection feature if you want to use it; it is disabled by default.

Once the component is installed, just follow below doc to configure it:

Configuring Scanner Redirection

BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do I install it on the virtual desktop specific or on the admin side of that particular VM

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Install it on master image (login as local admin) and take a new snapshot and then create desktop pool out of it Or recompose existing desktop pool in horizon view administrator.