VMware Horizon Community
RichS
Contributor
Contributor

Horrizon View Client 4.8.1 for Windows - How to add a second connection server URL/Address for all users during, or after client installation

Is there a way to add a second connection server during the install (or post install) of the horizon view client for windows? Either through a command line. GP or configuration setting.

We have a connection center for internal desktops, applications and a second connection center for remote users. We'd like both servers to be present when the user launches the client for the first time.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've tried and could never find a way to do this. In the long run you might be better off switching so a single namespace for internal and external connections (e.g. vdi.company.com).

0 Kudos
KyranBrophy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't validated this, but you could try overwriting the users prefs.txt file with a copy you've created that includes the connection URL's you want. To do this, manually install the Client, configure the two URL's and any other settings you want, then take a copy of the following file and push this out after installation using Group Policy or a script.

"%APPDATA%\VMware\VMware Horizon View Client\prefs.txt"

As I said, I haven't tried this to make sure it works, but give it a go and let me know how you get on.

0 Kudos
RichS
Contributor
Contributor

We are looking at editing the prefs.txt file. Possibly using PowerShell to insert the second connection server info. There is user information and other preferences in the file so just replacing it may cause issues. I plan to do some testing and try simply replacing the file.

This would be the area of the file that would have to be modified:

<BrokerJumpList>

<BrokerJump BrokerName="Server1" BrokerArguments="vmware-view://Server1.mydomain.com/?"/>

<BrokerJump BrokerName="Server2" BrokerArguments="vmware-view://Server2.mydomain.com/?"/>

</BrokerJumpList>

0 Kudos