VMware Horizon Community
123Chaudhry
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon instant clone services not automatically starting

Hey folks,

I am working with horizon instant clones and i am having to manually go in and restart services for a certain software/application.

I am very new to horizon and was trying to figure out if there is more prescriptive way to get a third party installed on the golden image to work with manual intervention.

thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

0 Kudos
123Chaudhry
Contributor
Contributor

Yes its a third party service app which does not start and needs to manually restarted on when the VM is up and running.

Is this a standard for services to be set up 'automatic' when dealing with intstant clone or VDI based VMs in general?

thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. You need to set the service to 'Automatic' on master image for whatever third party service you want to start automatically on VDI.

0 Kudos
bmurray2
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the VMWare Horizon Instant Clone Agent SERVICE is not running but is set to Automatic.  Is it supposed to be running on the gold image  before creating a snapshot and pool, or simply just set to Automatic?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

If you can push out a new image without any errors I wouldn't worry about it, I think its suppsoed to be manual since its only really needed during the customization processes.
0 Kudos
bmurray2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I did just get a pool composed without any errors, but in troubleshooting my first couple of attempts ( new to instant clones and H8) I noticed the service not running on both the gold image and the clones.  Documentation about that service is scant.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

As an admin you don't need to worry about it, if something was wrong you would see errors or at the very least vms with wierd names or duplicate names. I've been using instant clones since they came out and have never worried about that service. Please always feel free to ask, but in general thats why its not really documented, there isn't anything you can do with it.