VMware Horizon Community
blong24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon - golden image - sysprep

Hello,

I've been working on an optimized golden image for a newer release of windows 10 and i have a question in regards to the process.

I created the golden image, optimized using the osot, generalized/finalized, shut it down then exported it to a template.

I now need to create 4 separate 'golden' images from this template.

What is the best way to handle this?  The first golden vm deployed from the template, i've installed unique applications required for the pool that will be using it.  

Now when exporting 3 more times, do i need to sysprep these after deploying them from a template to ensure they're unique?  I don't want to run into the issue of deploying vm's from the same template and them all having the same identifiers etc.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
  • h

0 Kudos
6 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

I recommend that you do a Sysprep using a VM Customization Specifications from vCenter:

fabio1975_0-1652131903517.png

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-EB5F090E-723C-447...

where it allows you to also configure the parameters to join an AD domain.
This function can also be used for VM Instant clone or VM Full Clone.

Another way is ClonePrep but this does not generate a new SID 

Choosing ClonePrep or Sysprep for Customizing Your Virtual Desktops (vmware.com)

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
blong24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've used a customization spec in the past and it would fail.  I can try to give it a run again.

Would a standard sysprep+OOBE within windows suffice post deploy from template?

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

Yes, you can also use manually Sysprep + OOBE (plus Generalize) from Windows OS (after creating the VM from the template).
I use the customization spec almost every day, retry it and you send me an eventual error.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

blong24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you only use a customization spec when deploying a new virtual machine from a template or existing machine?

In my case, i created my golden optimized image > exported it to an OVF template.

When deploying from the OVF template, i reference the files i exported to create the new VM, but i don't have any option to run the customization spec on deployment.

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

you can use customization spec when creating a virtual machine from a template or when cloning a VM (but I've never tried it)

For an OVF  you can check this guide if it can help you but I've never tried it.

Creating a Customizable Windows OVF Template - The Virtualist

I'll probably test it in the next few days.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
blong24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Once the new VM was deployed from the OVF files, i was able to right click the vm > Guest OS > Customize Guest OS > Applied my customization specification > powered on the VM, waited a few minutes and it rebooted and changed the comp name/sids etc.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos