VMware Horizon Community
blong24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon gold image - clone or export to different cluster

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help with this.  

We currently have 2 hosts running production VMs in horizon 2106.  Each host has Nvidia M10 cards utilizing vgpu.

We have now purchased 2 new hosts.  These new hosts have A16 cards.

I'm needing to find the best way to clone/export my golden images to a new cluster that was created for these new hosts.  All hosts share the same datastore, but i need to keep the current vm's in production with their respective golden images intact.

The reason for the new cluster etc.  Is due to the nvidia situation and needing to alter resources on the golden images on the new cluster.  (Increase cpu/ram/gpu profile) while keeping the current vms as they are.

Is there a way to accomplish this without having duplicate sid's/computer names which could cause conflicts?

Thanks for any help, it will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DominikJ
Contributor
Contributor

You can create other pool with same golden image, but you can choose during pool creating another cluster, after this new will be created on new cluster. 

blong24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm needing to make changes to the golden image itself within the new cluster while keeping the golden image in its existing cluster.

Since we'll be making hardware adjustments to the golden image, i'll need to have a copy of both.  (1 currently running in production, and 1 for the upcoming changes)  I don't believe it's possible to 'clone' to a different cluster.

Is exporting as OVF, then importing to the new cluster the best way to accomplish this?  Then possibly running a customization specification against it to generate a new sid etc to make it unique?

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, exporting as OVF is the best way to go. 

Follow the guide and you will read that this step is described there:

https://techzone.vmware.com/manually-creating-optimized-windows-images-vmware-horizon-vms#export-the...

There is no need to generate a new SID but if you feel better with that I can recommend a nice tool for  it: 

https://www.stratesave.com/html/sidchg.html

0 Kudos
blong24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tom,

When you say there's no need to generate a new sid, why is that?  Would simply renaming the imported ovf suffice?

This is where i'm currently stuck.  I have all of my VM's imported to the new cluster, i just don't know what to do next and i'm not getting much from vmware support at the moment.

0 Kudos