sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon / esxi deployment customization issue

In horizon I create a new pool

I set the template to a template in the cluster

I set the customization to a customization built  in the cluster

The issue is when the connection server starts the creation of the machines in the pool it creates the machines in the cluster as expected with the correct names

Powers the machines on as expected.

Then the machines sit in a customization process and never go any farther.

What I find is the machines are created they are powered on they do the initial sysprep and then nothing.

Looking at the machines we can see the network card is disabled in the guest machine settings. Since the card is disabled the customization cant complete.

Ive tried new vms from scratch, ensured the template has the latest VMware tools. If I deploy a machine from the template without customization the machine has the network card enabled.

VMware esxi 6.7.0, 1300448 for the hosts

vcenter 6.7.0.20000

connections server 7.6.0 Build 9823717

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well just as an FYI I did resolve the issue

Believe it or not I restarted the vcenter appliance, recreated the customization and all works exactly as expected now.

Back to basics I guess

Thank you to everyone that assisted in trying to fins an answer to this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
vdi2777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sumrace,

we also had the problem with the network cards when we are using e-1000 cards. You can try to use VMXNET 3 adapters.

Are you using DVS?

Kind regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have tried both e1000 and vmxnet3 same behavior

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And no we are not using DVS

Just good old vswitch and the base image was assigned to the correct valid network name which does appear in the created guests settings.

All from a settings of the guest looks to be set exactly as expected, just the NIC is not enabled on the guest machines settings.

I even left the machine over night thinking we weren't waiting long enough.

I seem to have found a number of articles on this but no resolution

0 Kudos
vdi2777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry i couldn't help you. In this case i would open an SR.

I would also check that the network is available on all Hosts in the cluster.

Kind regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What's in the customization spec? What setting are you using in the networking section?

An SR is probably best, they probably need to look at the specifics.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'd thoroughly inspect the port groups to ensure they are 100% identical. Is it possible that they have been renamed or changed since the snapshot was taken on the parent?

Any specific reason for using a vSS? The vDS is preferred with Horizon to maintain consistency across the cluster.

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I have verified that the naming of the port groups are the same on all 4 esxi hosts.

This is a new POC so all the setup has been put into place as basically a new POC.

Licensing is the main reason we are using VSS at the moment however this should not be a road black to what we are trying to do or at least not that I have ever seen.

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The cusomtization spec is

perform a sysprep with generalization for new SID

Name the windows the name used in the VM guest names

Add the machine to the domain

The network has no customization

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes network is available on all hosts of the cluster

We are using our VMUG licensing for this POC so really don't have any support on this environment

Interesting issue is that if we use the template without customization being selected the VM guest is created and the network card is enabled.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Back to basics - did you do an ipconfig /release on the gold image before shutting it down and taking a snapshot? What VDI agents do you have installed, and did you install them in the correct order with a reboot between each install? (Tools, View, UEM, App Volumes). What OS is the gold image too? If it is W10, have you checked the W10 build version is supported against View 7.6? If it is Windows 7, have you installed SP1 and the convenience updates (contains a VMXNET3 fix)?

Also, don't use the E1000E adapter - it's not supported from memory.

EDIT - It also looks like you're using Linked Clones rather than Instant Clones. Is there a reason for that, as at this point I can't see any reason to use Linked Clones... now old news.

Further edit - if you've not set up view before, I'd suggest following Carl Stalhood's blog, which will guide you through getting a working system up quick and easy. Best resource by far:

https://www.carlstalhood.com/vmware-horizon-7/

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No I did not do an ipconfig /release on the gold image. Didn't think about that so I can go back and do that, I would have expected the sysprep /generalize to make this not needed.

On this last go around I have W10 base image 1803 with VM tools installed only. Nothing else.

I then convert the gold image to a template

Then deploy a guest from the template using customization and the network card is disabled at the VM guests settings.

I only performed through vcenter trying to get to the root of the issue so this is outside of the VDI connections deployment.

Hope this makes sense.

Im following the Horizon 7 training course I took a while back so again we have not gotten as far as instant clones yet. Wanted to get the base POC up and running before going forward. Instant clones are what I am headed for but just want to get this POC up and running first.

I will go look at the link you sent just for clarification.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'd probably skip linked clones and go straight for instant - no sysprep at all then (plus IC's are better in every way possible).

Regardless of which type of clone you opt for, you absolutely have to do an ipconfig /release before taking a snapshot. Clones don't provision consistently without it.

If the nic is disconnected on a bog standard vsphere clone, that is a strange one. Have you checked your gold image to see if the adapter is configured to "connect at power on"?

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So one of the first things I checked was to ensure my gold image had the NIC setup for connect at power on which it does.

I even added a line to the vmxt to for the nic enabled switch which did not seem to help

It is strange that the using the template straight up to create a new guest work flawless but when deploying a new machine with the same template only selecting customize and selecting my customize template which is very basic the NIC is disabled at the guest.

I will however just to be safe recreate my template after performing an ipconfig /release on the gold image I am using as the template and will update with results.

0 Kudos
alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There's another thread with a similar issue that my help you:

deployed VM from template but NIC is disconnected

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I actually saw that discussion when doing some research.

Interesting as it is an older thread. That being said I did update the vmxt to include the nic enable to try and force the nic to be enabled.

Did nto seem to help but as a side note, when I looked at the VMX of the new guest, the VMX file did not contain the added line.

Makes me suspect that somehow or another the vmx is being completely recreated with settings that are not the same as the template

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well just as an FYI I did resolve the issue

Believe it or not I restarted the vcenter appliance, recreated the customization and all works exactly as expected now.

Back to basics I guess

Thank you to everyone that assisted in trying to fins an answer to this issue.

0 Kudos
vdi2777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for informing us. Okay so when something isn't working properly you just can restart the appliance ...

0 Kudos
sumrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know it sounds weird but it did the trick. I now have w10 deploying just fine.

Cant say ive ever had an issue like this before but hey it worked.

Sometime getting irritated and doing the craziest of things solves the problem.

I hope that maybe this can help someone else out.

0 Kudos