VMware Horizon Community
Valley_wind
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon client 8.0 got display flicker when tried to connect cloud Win10 desktop in Big Sur

I have upgraded my MacBook Pro 2019 to Big Sur 11.1 and need to use Horizon client to connect my company Win10 cloud desktop. But it's always flickering(bright/dark in seconds) in full screen mode. I have to exit fullscreen mode to work. It's terrible for my daily work. May I know is there any upgrade for new version Horizon Intel Big Sur client which can resolve this issue? Thanks.

Horizon client version: 8.0.0 (16531451)

0 Kudos
34 Replies
gctwnl
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same issue here with macOS Monterey 12.2.1. The flickering seems to happen when the full screen VMWare client loses mouse focus. E.g.

• Two screens VMWare client in Full Screen mode. Move mouse to screen A, screen B flickers; move mouse from screen B to screen A: screen B flickers. Nothing else going on, no application launch etc.
  • One screen VMWare client in Full Screen mode. Move mouse away from VMware full screen A to macOS screen B, vmWare client full screen A flickers. Nothing else going on, no application launch etc.

So, the issue is triggered when WMWare client in full screen loses mouse focus and it stops when it regains mouse focus.

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

gctwnl,

There are several WA in the reply loop above, would you please have a look whether any would help?

Thanks & Regards

Zhenghua

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
theeaglesfan005
Contributor
Contributor

So I'm currently on the macOS Ventura Beta and the flickering is even worst (or maybe just now noticing as HC updated around the same time I installed the beta) and none of the suggestions for a workaround work.

(also in macOS Ventura the setting to disabled automatic graphics switching appears to be gone)

Something in the latest Horizon Client is causing this.

0 Kudos
theeaglesfan005
Contributor
Contributor

So this appears to be fixed in Build 8.6.0 (20094589)

0 Kudos
samkass
Contributor
Contributor

It still happens for me with Build 8.6.0 (20094589). I can make it go away for awhile by switching to window mode, then going into the Mac's Accessibility preferences and changing the pointer size, then switching back to full-screen. But it always eventually comes back.

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

samkass,

Would you please file a support ticket for this issue?

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos
samkass
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Zehnghua1,

I actually don't know how to do that. Could you provide a link for where a ticket can be filed? None of the menus on the site or in the app provide any guidance here.

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

samkass,

Please refer https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2006985

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos
samkass
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but that page complains about:

We did not find any Entitlement Accounts or Organizations associated with your logged-in user. Please reach out to your company's VMware administrators to be added to an Entitlement Account or Organization. You may still use this form to receive content recommendations to resolve your issue

...and refuses to let me file a ticket. I have no idea who our VMware administrator is.

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

samkass,

How about https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1020818 ?

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos
samkass
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, that page doesn't seem to add any additional info. I'm a very technical person who would be happy to help troubleshoot this for/with VMWare, but I'm not going to go to great lengths for the honor of giving VMware debugging info. Perhaps I can attach any additional info you need to a reply here?

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

samkass,

We have bug fixes in our upcoming release which may address your issue.

Do please accept the upgrade when you get the notification.

We generally release updates quarterly.

Thanks & Regards

Zhenghua

0 Kudos
ibayne
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I now have this problem. 

This problem occurred when I upgraded my monitor to a LG Ultrawide (34WQ60C-B.AEK). 

I have a 2 monitor set up and the flickering only occurs on the ultrawide. 

Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Happy to submit a log if you tell me how, but working like this is not possible. 

0 Kudos
samkass
Contributor
Contributor

The support staff here will tell you to go into the Mac System Settings and adjust the scale of the mouse pointer. That often makes it go away for a little while, and sometimes even reduces its impact long-term. I often have it at just a little bit of scale. 

They haven’t shown any indication that they’re likely to actually fix the bug, and make it extremely difficult to actually file a real ticket. 

elproducto
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  This actually fixed my issue, Let see for how long. Issue appeared from me when I swapped out an existing monitor for a new monitor.  I am using macOS Monterey so issue is still present.

0 Kudos